Dependent Visa Turnaround time and working

Closed Thread

Dependent Visa Turnaround time and working

I have just received a Dependent Visa for Hong Kong after getting married to a HKID permanant resident holder. I am British, currently in Canada on a working visa in Canada. The turnaround time for the visa was very quick, the application was approved and visa ready for collection within 7 working days of submission.

We were only married 17 September so very quick turnaorund on the visa. For info, in the application we included a few e-mail trails going back over a year, about 15 photographs from wedding, wife holiday in Canada, my visits to Hong Kong, lease on rental property in HK, wife employment letter (she is nurse in HK) and bank accounts. My bank accounts had balances of about 5,000 Sterling, wifes about 50,000 HKD.

One thing I am unsure of is that I have a visa that says DEPENDANT, good for single journey to Hong Kong and valid for 12 months. My wife has spoken to immigration and have been told that I need to get HKID card within 30 days of arrival. Does the DEPENDANT visa/sticker I have also enable me to work, or do I also have to get another sticker from Immigration to work. I keep reading on boards/websites/immigration that dependents of HKID permanant resident can work and are not affected by the rule change a few years ago, but am unclear whether I need another sticker/approval to work on top of the visa sticker

thanks

does your dependent sticker say "employment not permitted"? if yes, then you need to get it changed. if no, then you can work....

thanks

thanks guys, now happier and can get my flights sorted and cv off to agencies...