Dependent Visa & RTL - please help

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

btw, is unconditional stay = RTL?

It's not legally identical, but for all practical purposes I think it's the same.

ic.. thank you

I think "unconditional stay" means you can live and work in Hong Kong without limitations. But if you leave Hong Kong for long periods, you can lose "unconditional stay" status.

RTL is basically unconditional stay, but you do not lose it due of absence from HK, so in that way RTL is better.

Anyone in HK on a work, student, dependent visa is basically on conditional stay, so no, it is not like RTL.

i've a hk id&my husband is on dependent visa&he has 4 more years to make it to 7 years for PR. i've been offered a job in US&want to take my husband with me but he is worried that he'll lose his PR if he comes to US with me coz apparently he has to live "continuously" in HK for 7 years. do i reject the job offer to stay with him in HK but i really want to go to US...??!!???

Your husband is correct - if moves with you to the US then he would have to start again at zero years towards PR when he came back. The 7 years has to be in one continuous stretch.

Whether your career or your husband's PR is more important only you can judge.

cant he come with me for 1-2 years as the offered contract is for 2 years. will he lose the dependent visa if he lives outside hk for 2 years?

No he can't. When he applies for PR he has to prove that he has lived continuously in HK for 7 years. Obviously Immigration knows when he has gone in and out by tracking his passport/HKID at the airport.

ok - thanks PDLM!