change job, keep ID?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

change job, keep ID?

I have not found my case yet in previous threads.
    I have resigned with my current employer, and at -coincidently- the same time as my resignation date (early Nov) my HK work permit is expiring. However, I have signed a contract with a new company already, starting 1st March 2010. (the time in between jobs I will travel and relax in HK)
    I know I can get in and out of HK as tourist until I have my new Visa, however it is not very practical, since many things like renting a place, or even getting a club membership require your ID card.
    Is there a way that Immigration can extend the validity of my ID card, since I have a new contract and clearly just need to bridge the gap of 5 months?
    What would be your suggestion?

ID Card

I doubt HK Id Cards have an expiry date

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You do not change your ID card when you change your job. Someone is pulling your leg if they told you that.

that means I can still keep and use my ID card (for such thing as signing up to a gym club or dealing with my bank) , even after my working Visa expired (Nov 2009) and before I get my new Visa from next employer (March 2010) ?
    We are talking about 5 months in between jobs...

Yes, that's right. Your details on your card won't change with the commencement of your new job.

According to my sources (HK law professor) the only time your ID card / card number will change is if you go on the government witness protection programme.

if i were you, though, i would try to see if i could push forward my new start date. if you are at all interested in attaining PR, the 5 months will kick you back to "0" when counting towards your PR application (ie. you will not count the first 2 years, or however long you've been here. it will only start counting at march 2010)...

thank you all for your quick replies. I guess then I can just keep my ID and use it even I have tourist status only for some months. Good news!

Carang, the PR issue is unfortunate, but I guess I cannot change anything about it. My old visa expires in a couple weeks, and I purposely wanted to start only in March with my new company, in order to have enough time to travel and work on a personal project.
    That's the way it is then...start allover with "0"...

If the OP's visa has expired, won't his ID card no longer work at immigration?

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    If the OP's visa has expired, won't his ID card no longer work at immigration?
    Correct, he will need to leave Hong Kong on the day his visa expires (or before then) and enter as a tourist when returning (using just his passport - as for any other trips in out of Hong Kong prior receiving his new employment visa).
    However, his HKID card will continue to work just fine for most other purposes.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast