Sponsored Application and Immigration.

Closed Thread

Sponsored Application and Immigration.

Hi,

I put I did freelance work on my cv, and my sponsor submitted this along with my application. Immigration are now asking why I did freelance work? I am not ignorant, but I was NOT getting paid and now am at a loss, my personal understanding is freelance is doing bits here and their without payment??? I am currently here on a visit visa and my husband is a HK resident. If I were to cancel my application and pursue with getting married would immigration find that odd and investigate me? We have been together for 8 years.

Any advice welcome!!!

Most freelancers are paid aren't they? Anyway, the terms of a visitor's visa is that you can not undertake work, paid or unpaid, so if you did this freelance work in HK on such a visa you have broken the rules.

From Wiki:

"A freelancer, freelance worker, or freelance is a self-employed person who pursues a profession without a long-term commitment to any particular employer.... Payment for freelance work also varies greatly. Freelancers may charge by the day, hour, or page or on a per-project basis. "

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

If your husband is a PR, why did you not apply for a dependent visa to start with?

Freelance does not mean 'do it for free'.
    Freelance is basically self-employed, doing various work on a short-term or occasional basis with no long term contract to a particular employer.
    If you were working for free you were volunteering (doing something for charity).
    If you've put you were doing 'freelance work' then they'll want to know what you declared for tax reasons. But as you didn't have a visa that allowed you to work - you've just admitted doing an illegal act.

>ex-ax She says 'husband' but then 'pursue with getting married' so...?

Last edited by Load Toad; 23-10-2009 at 09:04 AM.

i'm guessing commonlaw husband...just get married and be done with it...8 years after all!

Quote Originally Posted by scosa:
    Hi,

I put I did freelance work on my cv, and my sponsor submitted this along with my application. Immigration are now asking why I did freelance work? I am not ignorant, but I was NOT getting paid and now am at a loss, my personal understanding is freelance is doing bits here and their without payment??? I am currently here on a visit visa and my husband is a HK resident. If I were to cancel my application and pursue with getting married would immigration find that odd and investigate me? We have been together for 8 years.

Any advice welcome!!!
    Getting married would not be odd but you can't volunteer in HK as a tourist. It seems a bit strong but I suppose they have their reasons including that they want businesses to hire local people. To me it is a bit too strong if not paid but rules are rules and with the law you can never say you were ignorant of the rules in defence.

Visit Visa / Entry Permit Requirements for the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region

The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

6. Visitors are not allowed by law to take up employment (paid or unpaid), to establish or join in any business, or to enter school as a student, nor, except in the most unusual circumstances, are visitors allowed to change their immigration status after arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    >ex-ax She says 'husband' but then 'pursue with getting married' so...?
    She also says she's not ignorant, so... *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    She also says she's not ignorant, so... *sigh*
    I can understand how people who are not careful readers of the rules here miss this stuff as you get people who offer information about how others did this or that and not to worry. While it may be true that others did this, it doesn't always mean it is right. If her husband is HK local he is probably one of the worst on these issues as HK locals never face these rules like expats do.

Her use of the term husband is recognized in law in many countries as a common law relationship so she is not all confused. My wife and I have been in a common law relationship for 30 years plus and I refer to her as my wife. The Canada Revenue Agency do too and common law partners regardless of sex have no choice but to file joint tax returns.

Football, let's put it down to a misunderstanding due to language, i.e. definition of "husband" as used in HK and "freelance" as used anywhere.

..and she misunderstood the conditions of staying in Hong Kong so she's breached those too which could cause problems getting a visa in future.

So - three misunderstandings but not remotely ignorant and all completely understandable.

Really?