Return Home Permit

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I used the pre-97 British Passport.

Quote Originally Posted by peterthepooh:
    I was wondering why would they declare a change of nationality? Given the scenerio (I do have AZ*** btw) I obviously will not tell or show them I have a foreign passport. I will only be showing my HKID for the application of the HKSAR passport. What would trigger them to have me declare a change of nationality?
    You would declare a change of nationality if you no longer want to be as Chinese citizen in China. But since basically you can have both citizenships and want to maintain them, don't do this.

You have to fill out a form and pay a fee to change your nationality at the HK immigration department.

Does a HK Immigration officer have the right to ask if I hold any other passports? And if so, do I have to answer? I don't imagine they have the right to take my Canadian passport away from me do they?

They have no right to do anything with your Canadian passport.

But again, because you were born Chinese and have never renounced Chinese Citizenship then you won't be asked. You're not naturalizing as a Chinese Citizen because you never stopped being one - you're simply applying for a passport.

Thanks, I was getting worried because I don't want to jeopardize my Canadian citizenship. I simply want the convenience of getting a return to home permit as many do.

Peter, please excuse my barging in a little here, but I'm interested in this thread and what others have said.

I wasn't born in HK - UK instead - but have 'permanent residency' ID here (***), and got my Return Home Permit (or Home Return Permit, i.e. "Wui Heung Jing" - 回 鄉 證 ) before the application requirements tightened in March 2005.

I've been thinking of also applying for the HKSAR passport, just as an additional travel document (yeah, despite the extra, perhaps unnecessary, cost), and wondering if, in my case, the process will be straightforward. Don't have, nor am I worried about, 'consular protection' anyway, so might as well...

Just to be clear, the *** does NOT equate with permanent residency. If you have the *** then you are a permanent resident, but many permanent residents, including myself, do not have the ***.

Quote Originally Posted by emmie:
    Peter, please excuse my barging in a little here, but I'm interested in this thread and what others have said.

I wasn't born in HK - UK instead - but have 'permanent residency' ID here (***), and got my Return Home Permit (or Home Return Permit, i.e. "Wui Heung Jing" - 回 鄉 證 ) before the application requirements tightened in March 2005.

I've been thinking of also applying for the HKSAR passport, just as an additional travel document (yeah, despite the extra, perhaps unnecessary, cost), and wondering if, in my case, the process will be straightforward. Don't have, nor am I worried about, 'consular protection' anyway, so might as well...
    No problem at all, is the "Wui Heung Jing" - 回 鄉 證 a card or a passport type book? Correct me if I am wrong but I think I have seen them in both forms?

That's OK, PDLM - Always best to be clear with bits of info like this, as not to (unwittingly) confuse others searching this topic online and who happen upon related thread topics on Geo.

Quote Originally Posted by peterthepooh:
    No problem at all, is the "Wui Heung Jing" - 回 鄉 證 a card or a passport type book? Correct me if I am wrong but I think I have seen them in both forms?
    A plastic card the size of a credit card - with photo.

Home Return Permit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My parents had the old passport-type, dark blue(?) ones, but when they renewed in HK, obtained the handy card ones instead.

BTW, Q for those of you who have applied for the HKSAR passport when you've already one indicating citizenship of UK/Canada etc: What made you do so when you've already visa-free access to MANY other countries? Any additional benefit - other from it being the only route to a "Wui Heung Jing" these days?
    Last edited by emmie; 23-10-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: More...