Temporary or Permanent HK ID Card

Closed Thread

Temporary or Permanent HK ID Card

Hello

I am new to this forum and I would really appreciate some guidance on my issue at hand, if someone can help.

As a student in HK for 1 semester some time ago (2007), I really loved HK and wish to go back to work there any time soon. I live in Germany and have a German Passport.

Now, I know that work permit regulations and ID Card applications are pretty tough. Some friends over in HK have advised me on that.

I have a HK friend (perm. HK ID Card) who owns a HK Ltd. That Ltd. however has been "sleeping", in other words its registered but no income or expenses listed in the past 2 years.

Now I would like to know, if and how my application for a temporary or even permanent HK ID Card would work out if I'd do one of the following options:

1. Get "employed" by this Ltd. and go through the work permit applications as by any company.

or

2. Buy shares of this Ltd. and become a major shareholder and board member if you will, as well as employee of this Ltd.

Now the problem I see is that this Ltd. was created but has not had any cash flow for the past years, in fact since it has been opened by my local HK friend.

Is it possible to apply for a temporary or permanent resident card in the given circumstances? Keeping in mind that I would "reactivate" the Ltd. and try to bring in some business and expertise to the already registered Ltd.

If yes, how would that procedure work? Which forms would I need to fill?

If no, why and do I have an alternative? Given the difficult situation of the job market at the moment I have almost given up finding a sponsor that is a large multinational company. Besides, I don't speak any Cantonese

I appreciate all information given on that topic. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer!

Regards, Chris

The key to living in HK is the Visa - the HKID card just follows automatically from that. After residing in HK for a continuous period of 7 years on some sort of non-visitor visa you can then apply for a permanent ID, with which you no longer need a visa.

In order for the company to sponsor you for an Employment Visa it would need to demonstrate to Immigration that it has a real role for you and that they have tried and failed to find a permanent resident qualified for the role. Moreover, the business would need to show plans for employing other local residents. And ImmD would generally have to be convinced that this wasn't just a scam to bypass their rules (which is what, in fact, it appears to me to be).

However, as a German citizen, assuming you are under 30, you can apply for a Working Holiday Visa, which would allow you to reside in HK for up to 12 months and take temporary work without restriction whilst you look for something more permanent. That is the route I would recommend if you are fixed on coming here.

wow that is amazing. I didnt know about this neither did my HK frds. Thank you very much. It appears to be pretty recent agreement.

I know my idea sounds like a scam, hehe, but sure isnt. I just couldn't find any solution to my desire wanting to go to HK.

Thanks for the link again! Really appreciated...

Cheers

just for further studying, can you advise on the regulations on ownership of HK Ltd in relation to working Visa?

Is there any ImmD link for the applying regulations?

Thanks again.

Chris

It's not that there are regulations against, but that there are requirements for getting an Employment Visa or an Investor Visa (the normal option for those setting up a business). For an Investor Visa ImmD has to be convinced by your business plan which shows that your business is real and how it will grow to employ local people. Even if granted, if these criteria are not met after one year then the visa will not be renewed.

You will also need to be financially capable of doing investments in hong kong under the investors visa, and that you are capable of bringing business and making the company run under what the company has (though no cash flow, so you will need to bring in some cash to initially start the business).

the other issue might rise is that, if your friend is already a director in the company, why would the company require 2 directors in order to run it.

it would have been wise that you friend has completely sold you the company, so you can start the business cuz ur friend wasnt able to generate any business. But with your connnections in german or elsewhere would help you to do so.

also, instead of buying your friend's 2 years old ltd company, it might be wise to open up a new company.

hope u can figure smth out...