New passport and Hong Kong visa

Closed Thread

New passport and Hong Kong visa

Hi all

I am a Pakistani national residing in Dubai. I have applied for the Hong Kong visa and I am told that the visa issuance will take a minimum of 6 weeks. The irony is that I am running out of pages in my passport, though the expiration date of the passport is one and a half year away. Pakistani Consulate in Dubai will issue a new passport with a new number. My question is: what will happen to the Hong Kong visa if I get a new passport? What other options do I have, remembering that I HAVE to get a new passport.

Thanks and regards

When they issue the visa I believe it will be a stamp put in your passport. So at that point either you give them the new passport to put the stamp in (obviously showing them also the old one) or, if they decline, then get the visa put in the old passport and just carry both when you enter HK. It is not at all unusual for people to enter countries using a visa in an expired or full passport alongside their new one.

Many thanks for the reply. Issue is that I have to fly to Hong Kong on 25 November 2009. My passport is with me and I a waiting for the visa to come. Once the visa has arrived, I will have to get a new passport and then get Thai visa as well. Considering time constraints, I understand that it will not be possible for me to send new passport details to Hong Kong to get the visa for my new passport. I am left with the only option to have visa stamped in one passport and carry the new passport along. I just want to confirm if Hong Kong allows this. As per my agent Hong Kong does not allow this anymore. Once again your input is highly appreciated.

The only way to get a definitive answer is to email HK Immigration: [email protected] They normally respond within a day or two.

hey there...

once you get the new passport, you can actually send in the new passport copy to the immigration department so they can update their records with your new passport, you can do so as long as you have the reference number. it wouldnt take long. if you have the officer's fax number, you can juts fax him the explanatory letter and a copy of your passport.