want to immigrate to hongkong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

want to immigrate to hongkong

Ive visited hongkong before on holidays. I now want to migrate to HK. How do i go about this?? ive been reading on the net but am confused.
    Do i come on a tourist visa (my 14 day entry as per my nationality is fixed) & then look for a job & seek change of status on my passaport) or do i apply for a employment v isa prior to my arrival in hongkong (i dont have any job offer already, i need to come there & look)

please help, how am a i supposed to go about this?

Regards & thanks

1) Get a job offer and then apply for an Employment Visa
    2) Invest HK$6.5M and apply under the Capital Investment Entrant Scheme
    3) Apply under the Quality Migrant Admission Scheme if you meet the criteria.

For 1) then it is common for people to come as visitors and look for a job, although it is apparently a legal grey area. It can't just be any job - it must be one for which no HK Permanent Resident can readily be found in order for ImmD to grant you the visa, so you need some specific technical or professional skills or experience.

thanks for ur response,

i need to be there to look for a job so i guess that leaves me with no option other than come on tourist visa & then job hunt & manage to procure an offer letter. My husband & I are working professionals.

my husband is an MBA from Australia & is working in the advertising & design field since the last 15 yrs, he now heads a company & i work in the Training & development field which is an off shoot of the HR team with the designation of a Training Manager, with these degrees & experience iam quite hopeful of securing employment in HK,
    i have a few more questions:

1. Once I have a job offer & have applied for an employment visa,which i believe takes 6 - 8 weeks, do i have to be present in HK for this period or can i leave to wrap up my previous commitments?
    2.Since my initial tourist visa will be for 14 days, which is the best way to get an extention; a short trip to macau? or go to the HKID & apply for extension?
    3.Can i have job interviews lined up for me/hubby through recruitment agencies in HK prior to my coming there? any names i can get of recruitment agencies will be very helpful
    4. Luckily i have a place to stay(friends place) but how much money do i need to help me tide through my job hunting phase?

many thanks

Not sure about this but I don't think it is allowed to look for jobs on a tourist visa. You need to have a job offer and apply for the work visa before you arrive in Hong Kong (unless you are able to apply through the quality migrant or the capital investment schemes)

technically, you are not allowed to look for work while here, so whatever you do... do NOT tell immig when you arrive that you are looking for work.

Have you got any language skills - apart from the poor written English?

Do not underestimate how hard it can be to get a job in HK - especially at the moment and do not underestimate how expensive HK is to live in. How much money will that be - well that all depends on how you expect to live doesn't it?

If you are in HR then you should know already you do not need to be in the country to start researching which companies have offices in Hong Kong and finding out from them and head hunters what positions are in demand.

Names of recruitment agencies - come on - get on Google and show some initiative.

This is not a place where you come in and wing it anymore as it was pre '97.

Last edited by Load Toad; 06-11-2009 at 10:41 PM.

Only one of you (ie you or your husband) needs to get a job with a sponsored visa - then the other can get a dependent visa.

Getting a job in 2 weeks in this market though will be tough!! It's taken me 3 months.

i don't like your chances of coming here and getting a job secured in 2 weeks
    its hard enough for local hk people - and it's not like there arent already ppl in your field looking for jobs but are hk locals
    wouldn't hurt to try though, try ringing some agents / connections you may have

You can come here and look for a job on a tourist visa. Hundreds of people do it every day, but as mentioned above don't mention that to Immigration.

Also, having a skill set that no HK PR doesn't have is an extremely grey area. How many IT people come here from other countries? You are telling me HK doesn't have enough local IT people with equal or superior skills?

IT just being one example but you get my point. I've met bartenders from America and Australia and they came as tourists and obtained Visas for the bar position, another example of a job which requires even less skills.

IT just being one example but you get my point. I've met bartenders from America and Australia and they came as tourists and obtained Visas for the bar position, another example of a job which requires even less skills.
    Mmmm - most of the 'pat bar people are actually very well qualified and experienced as managers of bars etc and that is a big difference. And a lot of them have also been in the 852 for years. I can't recall a bar I drink at where there are 'bar staff' as in serving or behind the bar are western 'pats. Apart from local a lot from Philippines maybe.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast