HKID Question and Mainland Card

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

thanks guys!

So what symbols does your card have?

no stars unfortunately

So it says "AZ"? It's that A which would indicate Right of Abode, and once you'd been to China a couple of times you would be able to apply for a 3 year multi-entry visa in your Australian passport.

No, "RO" as I am Australian as per my passport

OK - but it isn't always that way. It is perfectly possible to have ROA but not be a Chinese citizen.

So you have Right to Land. You can live & work freely in Hong Kong even before you get married.

I'm not sure we have a definite answer on whether RTL people have the same possibility for a 3-year multi-entry visa as ROA people, but at the very least you should be able to get a 1 year multi-entry I guess (and you could do that easily in HK - no need to get it in advance in Australia).

thanks PDLM, i have a better understanding now!

RTL vs ROA, i cannot see any big differences besides being unable to vote and being unable to obtain the 'wui heung jing' (also deportation due to crimes but i intend to be a good citizen)

is there anything i'm missing out on as a RTL?
    eg: healthcare, education, govt assistance (not that i seek any) etc...

Kids born in HK to a RTL don't get ROA automatically as those born to ROAs do (they need a Dependant Visa), but otherwise there is no other difference. Healthcare and education is equally available to all HKID holders (even those on Employment or other visas); welfare is available to all permanent residents, and I think (although I'm not absolutely sure) this would include RTLs. It's not a lot of money in any case.

The "wui heung jing" is only available to Chinese citizens. It isn't available to non-Chinese ROA holders (meaning, generally, those, like me, who have been granted it after living here for 7 years).

thanks PDLM

Quote Originally Posted by keungjai:
    i was under the impression that you can have dual citizenship both HK and foreign?
    Yes, if you were already a Chinese citizen. So your parents would have dual citizenship if they naturalized as Australian, their Chinese citizenship didn't disappear (like it does for mainland Chinese people).

But if you're a foreigner that wants to be naturalized as Chinese, you have to renounce the previous citizenship first before you can be Chinese.