Like Tree2Likes

Bad Credit Card Debt will it go to immigration?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bad Credit Card Debt will it go to immigration?

I worked in HK about 10 years ago and left with money owed on my credit card issued by a HK bank, I was broke and couldn't pay it back.

I'm now offered a job back in HK and I wonder if anyone knows if this will affect whether or not immigration grants me to a right to work and stay in HK.

I think the bank has allready sold off the debt to a collector but is there a black list or anything I should be concerned about?

I'm not sure, although I suspect not. If you left owing tax then ImmD definitely knows about it.

Why don't you simply write to the bank and pay off the debt. Then you have a clear conscience and nothing to worry about?

Last edited by PDLM; 16-11-2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by inasia:
    I worked in HK about 10 years ago and left with money owed on my credit card issued by a HK bank, I was broke and couldn't pay it back.

I'm now offered a job back in HK and I wonder if anyone knows if this will affect whether or not immigration grants me to a right to work and stay in HK.

I think the bank has allready sold off the debt to a collector but is there a black list or anything I should be concerned about?

How about being concerned whether other people think that you're the kind of irresponsible debt-dodging foreigner that gives expats a bad name?

...write to the bank, as PDLM suggests, explain your situation...and clear both your debt and your conscience at the same time...i think you may find it difficult to find another bank here...and i trust you will need one...do the right thing, friend...

itsdawn likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

But ten years of interest? You may have to negotiate a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    How about being concerned whether other people think that you're the kind of irresponsible debt-dodging foreigner that gives expats a bad name?
    I intend to clear this up and your point is well taken.

Can anyone tell me if there is someway I can check my credit in Hong Kong?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    nimaide likes this.

Ahem - regardless of moral issues here let's look at the legal issue and answer the poster's question. The statute of limitations in HK is 6 years. Any creditor or agent of a creditor attempting to pursue a debt that old would be acting ultra vires .

You might have a problem obtaining further credit but nobody in HK can legally pursue you for a debt more than 6 years old.

Further, as yours was a credit card debt rather than a tax debt, the matter is a civil one and would be of no interest to Immigration. Tax debt and child or spouse maintenance debts are different and would attract the attention of immigration once a judgement had been made against you (assuming the judgement was made in HK) for payment default.

Last edited by shilo507; 16-11-2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: reduced statute of limitations to 6 years

TransUnion is the agency most (if not all) of the issuers here use: TransUnion Hong Kong Personal – Credit Report, Credit Score, Credit Solutions
    HK$99 to order your report online.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast