Working visa to US

Closed Thread

Working visa to US

Hi,

Does anybody have experience in applying working visa to the States?

I am HK citizen holding British overseas passport (BNO) and get a marketing job offer in San Francisco. I only get US tourist visa now and the employer would like to employ me but worry if it needs to pay a large amount of subsidiary. How's the visa application procedure here? Is it free and how long does it take? Any money to be paid from employer? Is there anything to deal with from my side? What can i do to proceed the workng visa? Do I need to pay tax for US and HK? How can I do to pay less tax?

Thanks!!!!

employers need to sponsor you, i know that from co-workers in the past. takes a while, too. it's not too painful but costs generally vary between 1200-3500 bucks. just ask your employer since they seem interested in you.

The company who wishes to hire you should take care of all the paperwork. Usually the HR Director is the person who will work with their immigration lawyers to file your application and usually (but this depends on the company) bears the application and visa fees.

An H1B visa is a long and complex process and there is no way out of the taxes. If you're going to California with an american dream in mind .... sit down with your HR people and figure out your fed, state, and local taxes BEFORE you accept any offer.

The typical process is that a company will have to advertise your job, document the interviews and prove to immigration that you're more qualified than a resident.

Also, you do not want to be the first visa they've sponsored. If they screw it up, you might face further problems down the road with INS.

oh...The employer actually prefers to hire local candidate in the ad but they still consider me with my qualification... I'm afraid the employer will turn me down due to this complex visa application.. And I heard that the quota of H1B visa has been met this year and next year quota application starts from next Apr. Does it mean that i need to wait till next April for work? What can I do to make thing easiers? Work as temporary first? I have friends using the tourist visa to work for their employer.. is it possible and good to do so?

Thanks!!!!!

You may check the website of USCIS, it provides lots of useful information to answer your questions.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/t...TempWorker.htm

>> I have friends using the tourist visa to work for their employer.. is it possible and good to do so?

Illegal and if you're caught the penalties (thanks to post 9/11 bullcrap) are pretty severe.

How about the visa for professional trainee program? is this easy to apply?