Husband is on a working visa...Am I allowed to work?

Husband is on a working visa...Am I allowed to work?

My husband will be on a working visa in Hong Kong and I am wondering what my options will be once I decide to work. I have been reading through some other threads and it looks as though mine will be completely independant of his. Is this true? Is it pretty easy to get a working visa if your spouse has one? Or does a company have to sponsor you first? If it is the latter, do a lot of companies in Hong Kong shy away from having to sponsor someone especially if they dont have to?

Thanks.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

You didn't become a dependent in HK before July 1, 2003, so your dependent's visa won't automatically give you the right to work. You'd need to qualify independently. Don't think employers in general are routinelywilling to sponsor, but if someone wants you badly enough they probably would (doesn't cost them much, I think just the usual HKD135, but there is the 3-4 weeks time and, yes, the hassle).

In general jobs are very scarce and the unemployment rate is over 7% (much higher than any time in the last 15 yrs at least), so Immigration Dept is getting tougher with employer sponsorships, specially in establishing that the job cannot easily be filled by a local. Foreigners are still landing niche jobs, though. If you are in a situation where the employer might be willing but for the hassle, you may offer to help draft the job-decription with appropriate slant, I guess.

I agree with HKFella on the fact that foreigners are indeed finding niche jobs in Hong Kong without a problem. They key is to not stress about this before you get here.

Get to HK, network and meet people and if you're able and interested, HK still remains relatively easy to get your visas approved when compared to the nightmarish situation in Europe / North America.