Inter-Company Transfer (Work Visa)

Closed Thread

Inter-Company Transfer (Work Visa)

Hi,

I work for a very large global bank and have 12 years IT experience with this same company across UK (9 years), Brazil (2 years) and India (1 year) and have now been offered a move on local terms to our Hong Kong office. The position is a really good one and the salary is high so I've accepted the offer.

However, I've read stories about the HK work visa process being very stringent and my only worry is that my work visa will get rejected as I don't have a degree. I was always naturally bright but lost interest at school at the crucial time and so didn't do great in my GCSE's but have been very successful in my company due to my natural IT talent (I was programming in assembly at 9 years old) and drive. I speak fluent Portuguese and English and also hold the PMP (Project Management Professional) qualification.

As I have such varied international experience in this very well respected company, I'm hoping that this will counter my lack of academic qualifications. HR seem to think it should be OK but I still worry about it. Could someone help put my fears to rest please? Also, does the fact that it's an inter-company transfer help bolster my case too?

If it helps, I'm a mainframe development manager and the HK office have tried to recruit locally and failed and the recruiting manager thought my experience of managing teams in Brazil and India would be very valuable.

One other query is on the actual application form itself, there isn't much space for academic qualifications as I guess they assume people will put down just there undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications. However, in my case would I just write down my GCSE results even though there doesn't seem enough space for them all? Do I also need to send in my GCSE results as proof of education?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by statman; 21-11-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Chill out - it sounds like you are being employed because of, if not unique skills, but some skills and talents that are in short supply, are very specific to your company,mean the company in HK will hopefully prosper and need more local staff etc. And anyway it is normal for the company that is employing you, for their HR dept to fill the form in with the required spin to make certain that your talents are presented as evidence of your ability - not some very minor phuq ups you had in your teens.

Seems you were right telling me not to worry! Got the visa approved today and in record time!! Took 11 days from submitting the docs to getting the visa approved! Can't wait to get to HK now!