British passport: How does this work?

Closed Thread

British passport: How does this work?

Hi guys,

I think I overlooked something...

My son now has a British passport and we're planning to head back to the UK for Christmas. So far so good. The main reason we opted to sorting out the British passport first is that it doesn't require the baby to be present whereas the HKSAR one does. We're trying to avoid him going out much in the first month (related to moon sitting) and so this seemed a good idea.

But I've just thought about going through immigration. We'll use the HK residents channel (my wife is a HKPR of Chinese descent so he too has PR status) but we have no proof he's entitled to anything in Hong Kong - just a British passport saying that he was born here - and of course no entry stamp :-)

In the UK there won't be any problem but when we come back to HK, again I can see a problem. We can't prove he has the right to anything in HK so is he going to need a visa or waiver or something?

I'm planning to take his HK birth certificate with us but I'm not sure how much use that would be. We will try applying for the HKSAR passport and HKID if needed - we were planning to do that in January anyway...

So... any thoughts? :-)

Assuming he is indeed a Hong Kong permanent resident, he needs a Hong Kong Re-entry permit or a HKSAR passport.

Those under 11 can't use a HKID card to enter/exit HK.

You have two options:

1. Carry his Birth certificate with you when you enter/leave HK and present it with his UK passport.

2. Apply for a passport endorsement showing he has ROA.

For #2 you need to go through the process of applying for verification of ROA/PR. Once this has been done (verified) you can apply for the passport endorsement. You can submit both apps at the same time if you wish to.

It is a fairly quick process - took us about 3/4 weeks. You end up with a small sticker for his passport that says ROA verified.

EDIT:[In fact I have just found the info the Immd sent me on an email when we had to do this earlier in the year]:

Children under the age of 11 with their Hong Kong permanent resident status established as indicated in their Hong Kong birth certificates normally need not apply for verification of eligibility for permanent identity card (VEPIC). They may apply for permanent identity card directly when they reach the age of 11. Such children if holding valid foreign travel documents may apply for an endorsement to be made in their travel documents stating their eligibility for a permanent identity card verified for travel convenience.

Such application can be made by way of submitting an application for verification of eligibility for permanent identity card (VEPIC) by their parents or guardians. The child is required to be PRESENT in Hong Kong at the time of application for VEPIC as well as when such endorsement is given to him/her. The fee for such endorsement to a travel document is HK$165.

The application form for VEPIC is ROP145 and the endorsement is done by completing the form " Application for an Endorsement to a Travel Document ( For children under 11 years of age only ) ID683. The form ROP145 & ID683 can be downloaded at the following website:

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/rop145.htm

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/id683.htm

For information of application for VEPIC, please visit the website : http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hksarvepid.htm

For information on the permanent residents and right of abode in HKSAR, please visit the websites:- http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/topical_3.htm
    Last edited by Pekkerhead; 23-11-2009 at 12:21 AM. Reason: added the email information I received from ImmD

Thanks for that! Really useful - I would have been caught out quite badly if I'd thought of this any later.

I will submit the form tomorrow - although I'm wondering if might just be easier to apply for the HKSAR passport after all :-)

I didn't notice anywhere on the birth certificate that specifically stated he had right of abode or similar. Will double check that :-)

Thanks again!

I think there's a part of the birth certificate for permanent resident status and it will be shown as "established".

Did you or the mother have ROA when the son was born? If so he would have ROA.

Hi,

Yup just found it - right at the very bottom. Dunno why I didn't spot that before :-)

Right, off to immigration tower tomorrow then...

Thanks all!