Like Tree3Likes

Mom born in Hong Kong...can I get ID Card/HK Passport?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Just spoke to mom. It looks like she was in USA on a Work visa using her Hong Kong - british passport at the time. This is 1970.

thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Why would you want an HKSAR passport when it means you have to rescind your current citizenship and become a Chinese citizen?
    hi claire, to be honest, with the way things are going in the USA and the amount of taxes they take from me, it might not be a bad idea to be a chinese citizen in HK

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Uncle Sam can follow you for up to 10 years after renouncing citizenship.

I think the United States has worldwide taxation regardless of where you live, like Claire ex-ax said.

God bless America!

rediculous! thanks for the info here

well if she was on a work visa, then from what I gather from Hairball's website, she was not considered settled and you should be considered a Chinese citizen and granted a HKSAR passport and HKID with AO***.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL:
    well if she was on a work visa, then from what I gather from Hairball's website, she was not considered settled and you should be considered a Chinese citizen and granted a HKSAR passport and HKID with AO***.
    Yes! It seems that way. My mom is looking for her old HK-UK passport now to get the work-visa stamp from that time period (late 1960s-early 1970's)....wow! did i really say "time period"? haha!

if this is the case, this is really cool and makes life a lot easier to work in HK

Thank you BryanL for the input. I find so many people are so helpful on this site

thank you everyone!

moms is searching through her records and old passport...

fingers crossed that she was on a work visa when i was born in the USA

thanks again!

hairball and pdlm,

thanks again guys!

i think i have all the documentation i need for submittion to see if i can get the HKID/Passport. I have proof that my mother was not "SETTLED" yet when I was born in USA.

I have no problem with work visa with my future company in HK, I would just much rather go the HKID route.

thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Uncle Sam can follow you for up to 10 years after renouncing citizenship.

USA can even come after me for taxes if i work under a HKID without having to give up US citizenship?

thank you!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast