new born baby uk passport

Closed Thread

new born baby uk passport

Hi People,

I am stuck with wife and new born baby abroad and need visa to get to hong kong.

I am premanent resident in Hong kong and have a british citizenship can i apply british passport for new born baby here in hong kong while he is abroad as it takes aleast 3 months to apply where he is now.

Edit. OIC. Your wife and baby need a visa to come to Hong Kong and you're asking whether you can get a British Passport in Hong Kong for your baby who was born somewhere else and isn't in Hong Kong...

And the answer is clearly no.
    http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/pa...ldren-passport

Last edited by PDLM; 06-01-2010 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Eh? How can you need a visa to get to Hong Kong if you are a Permanent Resident and a British Citizen?
    Well I am in hong kong already and do not need visa but my new born baby who is not in hong kong needs a visa and passport. Therefore if i can apply british passport for him here in hong kong then i can tackle both passport and visa issue.

The question is if i can apply british passport for my new born baby here in hong kong while he is not in hong kong.

Thanks for your help

Yes, sorry, I worked that out - see my edited answer above. You need to apply at the British consulate/embassy in the country where he is.

Where was he born? What other nationalities is he entitled to?

Hiya,

He was born in Pakistan and is entitled to pakistani passport that he already has but it requires visa to enter into hong kong and to apply for a british passport in pakistan takes atleast 3 months. Is there a quicker way to apply for my son;s hong kong visa here in hong kong because at the same time my wife's dependent visa expires end of this month.

Apply for the renewal of your wife's Dependant Visa straight away, and at the same time apply for one for your son. My expectation is that your wife's will be renewed within 2-3 weeks, and that they will issue one for your son at the same time assuming you can submit the necessary paperwork (essentially his birth certificate I guess).

Then when he has the Dependant Visa he can come to Hong Kong and you can apply for the British Passport here.

I do have to wonder why on earth you made this so complicated by having your wife give birth in Pakistan. If she had given birth here it would all have been so much simpler!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Apply for the renewal of your wife's Dependant Visa straight away, and at the same time apply for one for your son. My expectation is that your wife's will be renewed within 2-3 weeks, and that they will issue one for your son at the same time assuming you can submit the necessary paperwork (essentially his birth certificate I guess).

Then when he has the Dependant Visa he can come to Hong Kong and you can apply for the British Passport here.

I do have to wonder why on earth you made this so complicated by having your wife give birth in Pakistan. If she had given birth here it would all have been so much simpler!

You are absolutly right i made it complicated !!!

Anyhow my wife is in pakistan i can apply for the renewal of my wife visa while she is not here in hong kong ??

Hmm. Tricky. I guess the answer is no. If I was you, what I would do is go straight to Immigration tomorrow and explain the situation to an officer there. Essentially what I think you need is for them to quickly grant your son a visitor visa so that your wife can return to HK with your son and you can then process the rest of the paperwork when they get here.

Talk to them and ask them how best to go about it. My experience with HK bureaucracy is that if you explain your situation and ask their advice then they do try to help.

Thank you so much for your help. Appreciated very much. You are doing a great job.