American-Born-Chinese want to move to Hong Kong and stay.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

ps> the fact that you speak cantonese would be a definite bonus! that is something in your favour! yay!

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    ps> the fact that you speak cantonese would be a definite bonus! that is something in your favour! yay!
    thanks carang yes hopefully I will get hired by a global company. I'm 24 and still need 2 years before I can graduate with a bachelor degree in criminal justice. but I don't know what kind of companies or position I can get in that field of degree. my original plan was get my CJ degree and join the NYPD, but after coming back from hong kong i'm starting to miss it's daily things like easy transportation, the cheap and good food, the things to do at night, the life when I was there. Over here in NY i'm sick of the racism and life here...at least it feels like HOME in hong kong for me.

marry a local hk girl, and you visa problems will disappear

There's a lot of racism in HK as well, including some derogatory attitudes directed at overseas born Chinese for not being Chinese enough. It's a hard life wherever you go - but good luck. If you can speak Cantonese fluently that's a big plus & you don't necessarily need to be literate in Chinese for many jobs with an international outlook, as English is the principal language of business.

ABC and about to get an offer in HK

I can't read or write chinese either.

My cantonese is horrible.

However, with the right experience and background I am about to receive an offer from a very large MNC bank.

Of course it helps that my wife has her HKID (we're both living in the states now) and it allows me to work in HK.

So don't give up.

Obtain the right work experience (IT or work in the financial services industry - Business Analyst, Project Manager, etc) and the doors will open.

It's not impossible.

Good luck.

ABC

The sort of careers you could look at include accounting, law, banking etc. These are the types of people I come across most frequently who've moved over with their employer.

Or if you're good at selling, then maybe recruitment? I know quite a few experienced recruiters over here on work visas and it's a career that doesn't normally require a specific degree. Of course it's not for everyone.

The key is experience, and in an industry that finds it hard to recruit good people - that is what a company will need to show to sponsor your visa.