VISA question

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VISA question

hi...

i currently live here, and have a HKID.

i will be returning to the USA for xmas, and be returning in jan 1st with my girlfriend.

my girlfriend does not have a visa or a hkid.

i know she can only stay for 3 months, but we were planning on her going into china once or twice to extend that 3 months till about may (5 months)

reason being is that she will look for work while here.

anyways...im wondering if they will check for a return ticket, or ask to see itinerary or anything.

i know they didnt last time when we cam for 2 weeks...but i was worried this time they might not let her in if they see a return ticket for may.

any thoughts?

return ticket

Technically you have to a return ticket (so I've heard) but they have never checked for mine. Some nationalities they check, others not so much. Americans seem to slide by on this.

Don't tell them at immigration she is looking for work - automatic reject.

Renewing by going out and coming back works fine once, after that you should have a backup plan. Some people have done it many times in sucession with no trouble. Others are given trouble after doing it once and occasionally I hear of them being rejected. Have a backup plan if that happens.

Popping across the border to "top up" your 90 days might work now and then, but there is a reason the HK passport guys put all the stamps on the same page (if possible) and that is to check for just this sort of thing. It might not be a problem for a few trips, but I know people who do things like work in Shenzen and spend the weekend in HK sometimes run into problems by overly curious guards.

Basically--don't plan on this as being the be-all end all of your situation. Can you get her a dependent visa if you are here working?

no no....
    i am only going to have her do this maybe 2-3 times at most....
    if they say she needs to leave, then i will rearrange a flight...no biggy

my biggest concern was that on first entry into HK they would ask to see her return ticket and see that it is over 3 months, see she has no visa...and tell her to go home....

that would be a huge problem.

There is a miniscule chance of that happening, and if it does, you simply walk back to the Cathay Pacific transit desk, buy a fully refundable ticket to Taipei with a reservation within the 3 months, and go back to Immigration with it. You can get the ticket refunded any time after.

I had the same question when I arrived, in your girlfriends position. I think it is pretty much guaranteed you can come in with no return ticket (which I did with no problems whatsoever). I also managed to get a job really quickly with a company willing to put in my work visa app for me - just thought I'd add that as I know I was a bit stressed about coming in with a one way ticket and not having a job. It definitely can happen much more quickly than you expect! Best of luck!!

why Taipei?

Because I guessed it is the cheapest place to buy a fully refundable ticket for.

Please correct me on this one .... I thought people are allowed to come in only for 14 days on a tourist visa. I wasnt aware of the 3 month period.

Is it different for different nationalities ?

Yes it is.. Take a look at http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_4.htm

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast