Change visa status from dependant to employment

Closed Thread

Change visa status from dependant to employment

I hold a Thai Passport and dependant visa. I have got a job and been employed by a local company since August 09, but I didn't apply to change my visa status that time cuz I was told that I am eligible to work under my dependant visa.
    My visa is valid until this May, but I need to apply for a Schengen Visa for business trip (end of March). It states on the Consulate website that I need to have at least 6 months valid HK visa in order to apply the Schengen Visa. Is it possible for me to apply for employment visa now to obtain another year or two HK visa?

Thanks a lot in advance for advice.

Why can't you renew your dependent visa, have you separated from the sponsor? Much more useful than an employment visa as you can change jobs freely. Anyway, depending on what you do you may not be granted an employment visa - your employer would have to show there are no local residents who could do the job.

a dependent visa IS a valid visa... a proper visa does NOT imply a work visa. it merely means something that allows you to reside in hk. don't see why you think there is a problem?

i would go to immigration and explain the problem and ask if you can extend your current dependent visa instead of doing it a month before it expires (april).

there is NO WAY, i would change to an employment visa if you don't require one.

1) you can ONLY work for that employer
    2) if you lose your job, you have to find another employer willing to sponsor you
    3) what are your chances of being approved for a proper work visa?

i think you're crazy to want to try to change it.

the only problem you have is that your current dependent visa expires in May and your need to apply for a visa for a business trip in march. if you applied for that visa now, there is only 5 months remaining on your current visa. you say that you need to have 6 months validity remaining on your hk visa?

i would think that you should still be ok applying for the business trip visa....

Last edited by carang; 19-01-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Thanks for your comments. My husband's passport will be expired this June too, that explains why we obtain the HK visa only until May. Husband is now applying for a new passport at the consulate, but it will need 6 weeks for him to get a new passport. If we wait until that time to renew our visa, which takes another 4 weeks, it will not be in time for my trip. That's why I came up with such a thought to change my visa status and ask my company to sponsor it.

Btw, am I right that I can't renew my Dependant visa without my husband's employment visa?

Thanks Carang, I think about trying to apply the business trip visa without renewing the HK visa too. Will consult the consulate tomorrow, just in case it works.

honestly, a work visa could easily take over 8 weeks, too.
    i do think you are crazy to even contemplate changing your visa status.

I believe you have misunderstood the rules. I think that what they are saying is that you must have a HK Visa which was valid at the time of issue for more than 6 months. In other words a HK Visa that makes you a HK Resident with a HKID card. The reason for this is that many of your Thai compatriots come to HK on 90 or 180 day visas as "entertainers" (i.e. prostitute visas) and the Schengen countries won't issue visas to them.

With a Dependant Visa you should be fine - it doesn't matter how long it has to run.

Last edited by PDLM; 20-01-2010 at 03:48 AM.

PDLM, that's what I mean. Sorry English is not my native. Anyway, my problem is solved. Husband will have his new passport end of next week so we both can apply for visa extension and I can apply for Schengen visa later. Just in time before my trip. Thanks for all your advices and comments.
    Regarding my Thai compatriots, I'm sorry for them that they have to work in such industry, but if they have opportunity for higher education and for better jobs, I don't think they will choose to do what they're doing now.