Tourist Visa with no onward flight OK?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Just because you have a 3 month visa it doesn't follow that you're going to stay 3 months.

99% they won't say anything and will just stamp you in. 1% say you're here as a tourist, you may go on to China or Macau (that's a valid reason for not having an onward ticket - you could get a China visa here if you wished). Your plans are flexible.

Just don't mention looking for work.
    Well my last passport visa is Chinese as I stayed in BJ for 6 months not too long ago. The China explanation is workable.

It's just that a discount 1 way flight seems to be a better option than a 1 year return, more flexible and probably even cheaper. I don't intend to break anyone's rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Brace4impact:
    Well my last passport visa is Chinese as I stayed in BJ for 6 months not too long ago. The China explanation is workable.

It's just that a discount 1 way flight seems to be a better option than a 1 year return, more flexible and probably even cheaper. I don't intend to break anyone's rules.
    Note that we did not say you can't look for work, just don't tell them that

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Just because you have a 3 month visa it doesn't follow that you're going to stay 3 months.

99% they won't say anything and will just stamp you in. 1% say you're here as a tourist, you may go on to China or Macau (that's a valid reason for not having an onward ticket - you could get a China visa here if you wished). Your plans are flexible.

Just don't mention looking for work.
    Agree with all of the above.

However, I think that a large part of this discussion is pointless - the permit to stay for up to 90 days (for most nationals) is more or less automatic when one enters HKG (almost certainly for somebody white and Australian) and shorter permissions to stay are generally only imposed in specific circumstances (SCL and suspected illegal residence being the main examples). Hence, there should be no need to request a 90 day visa and to explain to immigration why one might need this. Am I missing something?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Hence, there should be no need to request a 90 day visa and to explain to immigration why one might need this.
    No need to request a 90-day visa but Immigration may ask questions about the purpose of the visit. "Looking for work" is not a suggested answer.

Occasionally you do get a jobsworth in the airport at check in who will check your visa status. That is going to be your most likely hurdle.

...but there should be no "hurdles", if the OP plays by "the rules"...he/she will be arriving on a tourist visa, with the intention of holidaying here...if he/she chooses to seek employment opportunities whilst in town, that's up to him/her...

Agree with fth. When I've flown from the UK on a one way ticket before I've been asked if I have a valid work visa. And when I was living in Guatemala I flew to the UK for xmas on a return ticket bought in Guatemala. KLM wouldn't let me fly back to Guate from Manchester and I had to go down to the Guatemalan embassy in London for a letter of permission to fly into the country without an onward ticket. My point being, depending on the airline and the check in staff, it could happen...

These guys are spot on. Mention looking for work as part of a being a tourist means you will be deported under the Dumb Cnuts Act. In other words, no one using their brain says they are here looking for work. If you say that you do so at your peril.

If you think it is okay looking for work while here that is one thing -others here might disagree as it is done all the time. But sharing this point of view with the Immigration Officer at the HK Airport is stupidity.

Can I look for work in HK on the internet whilst out of HK? Can I have a phone interview like that?

"Yes yes, of course don't be stupid, dumb c*nt".

Can I sit in front of someone in HK and do the same thing.

"No no, of course not, dumb c*nt".

Sorry sometimes I make the mistake of forgetting I live in a world that isn't run by dumb c*nts.

Brace

I don't think there's a problem with being invited to come to HK on a short visit for an interview. What they don't like is you coming to stay here and look for work, ie with no intention to leave.