Like Tree3Likes

HK work visa cost

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I'm only guessing but you may have to post the forms via airmail rather than scan them. You can definitely apply from overseas as PDLM says, but you also need to submit passport photos, so I guess these would have to be posted rather than scanned. That said, possibly you can just submit the forms/photos at your local embassy/consulate? I'm sure someone else can confirm that!

I came to HK for my interview, and left the next day. The company took care of visa matters, and the entire time immigration dealt with my company who forwarded the messages and requests for more documents to me.

You don't need to be in HK, just complete all the forms, get the papers they require and mail it to them. And here is a tip, halfway through my application they requested furter documents, they only gave me 2 weeks to get them, these documents were halfway around the world at the time, all in all it became a large deal of stress.

Just make sure you have access to whatever they may require. And use Fedex or something else that is reliable.

Any ideas what sort of additional documentation they might ask for? I have been asked to supply photocopies of my academic and professional qualifications, passport, a copy of my cv and passport photos (all of which I have). Is there anything else they are likely to require?

Also, do they actually do reference checks on your previous positions like an employers might do? I only ask because a couple of my previous jobs i was temping through an agency to start with then went permanent, but on my CV (and the application form) I have just put the dates I was with the company. Is it necessary to also tell them the dates I was temping so they can confirm with the recruitment agencies?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiee:
    I came to HK for my interview, and left the next day. The company took care of visa matters, and the entire time immigration dealt with my company who forwarded the messages and requests for more documents to me.

You don't need to be in HK, just complete all the forms, get the papers they require and mail it to them. And here is a tip, halfway through my application they requested furter documents, they only gave me 2 weeks to get them, these documents were halfway around the world at the time, all in all it became a large deal of stress.

Just make sure you have access to whatever they may require. And use Fedex or something else that is reliable.

Yes you may well need letters from previous employers. I find it really hard to believe you are unable to contact anyone from an employer a mere 2 years ago - that implies a complete lack of ability to network and create useful contacts from everyone you have ever worked with! You might want to work on that skill here in Asia.

I was only asked to submit a reference letter from my previous employer, but then I had been with them for 4 years and t was my only role directly relevant to my new offer in HK. It's not a reference as such, merely confirming your role and dates of employment with the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    I was only asked to submit a reference letter from my previous employer, but then I had been with them for 4 years and t was my only role directly relevant to my new offer in HK. It's not a reference as such, merely confirming your role and dates of employment with the company.
    Ah yes I forgot to mention references. I have a written reference from my previous employer (which will actually also be my new employer in HK) along with contact details for references from my last two employers (the two positions relevant to my new offer). That should suffice you think?

Quote Originally Posted by newsense:
    Ah yes I forgot to mention references. I have a written reference from my previous employer (which will actually also be my new employer in HK) along with contact details for references from my last two employers (the two positions relevant to my new offer). That should suffice you think?
    I don't think people on internal transfers need any references at all - I certainly didn't (but that was 10 years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I don't think people on internal transfers need any references at all - I certainly didn't (but that was 10 years ago).
    It's not actually an internal transfer, sadly! It was originally going to be, back in 2008, but it eventually fell through following the recession so I am out to HK alone. But it turns out I've returned to the same company, but unfortunately starting from scratch again! I did think it would be less hassle seeing as I'd worked there before, but in my experience so far that doesn't seem to be the case!! Perhaps in terms of the visa application though it might makes things easier, lets hope so...

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy1059:
    if the previous work experience have no relevance to my new job in HK, then we dont need a reference letter? like if i did an accounting or finance internship but my current job is taxation.. ?
    Dizzy I would just provide what you have for the time being. If they need anything else they will request it, but I'd suggest trying to get in contact with your old company in the mean time just in case you do need to contact them for a reference - might speed things up a bit when the time comes.

Dizzy

As (i assume) you're currently in your first role since graduation I expect a reference letter from your current empolyer will suffice.