Like Tree2Likes

Infant to travel with me - BNO passport holder

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Infant to travel with me - BNO passport holder

I am planning to go on a holiday to Thailand and will use my BNO passport (visa free) to travel. Since my 8 months old baby (born in HK - HK birth certificate) will travel with me, what do I do for his travelling documents?

He needs a passport. What is his nationality?

Baby definitely needs a passport

just being born in hk doesn't make the child a hk citizen/permanent resident. however, i'm assuming that you are chinese, holding a bn(o) ~ so is my husband~ both of my kids have "established" on their birth certificates.

they are both eligible for a HKSAR passport, which i think is the route you'll have to take, unless you hold a different citizenship as well. for us, because i'm canadian, we decided to get our kids canadian passports. we may, in the future, apply for their hksar passports, but for now, we are happy with the arrangement.

thank you for your replies.

i've a stamp on my other passport with baby's photo on it and saying that he is my child. can i acquire similar stamp on my BNO too? i don't get visa-free access to thailand on my other passport but i do on my BNO passport so wanting to use my BNO for baby's travel so that he can travel visa-free too, if allowed ofcourse.

Your baby needs a passport of his own. Babies can no longer travel to most places on the passports of their parents. He certainly wouldn't be able to travel to the USA (as you have talked about in other posts) without his own passport, for example.

(I'm curious to know where, if anywhere, you have managed to do this)

Last edited by PDLM; 18-02-2010 at 03:11 PM.

bub has travelled with me on my other passport before. i enquired re: this with the hk immigration office before travelling last year and they told me that a photo stamp registered by the country's consulate does the work too. i took along his birth certificate and everything went smoothly through the immigration barriers.

To which country?

It's not a question for HK Immigration (except for re-entering HK) - it's a question for the immigration of the country you are travelling to.

it was my native country! immigration on both countries allowed him to travel on MY passport.

Then they are unusual. VERY few countries allow you to do that these days.

(By the way, I do find it bizarre that you seem unwilling to name your home country - are you ashamed of it in some way?)

Specifically the US does not (and I know you are thinking of travelling there).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast