Like Tree3Likes

BNO to British Citizen Passport?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Post BNO to British Citizen Passport?

hey all ,

hmmm i currently holding BNO passport and want to apply for british citizen as there was a news couple of weeks back that now it is possible to make British passport if you have BNO....

i would like to know is this the form i need to complete please help....

link:- BNO-A Form

How does that affect your HK Chinese status, while taking on a full British passport, essentially you are effectively taking on another full citizenship. Does it affect your HKSAR passport status, or as long as you already had the HKSAR passport in the beginning, then it doesn't matter what extra citizenship you adopt with your BN(O) version, after the fact.

Does what I type, make sense ? My wife has both the HKSAR and BNO passports also.

Last edited by Skyhook; 19-02-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

That is the form to renew a BN(O) passport. Not to apply for citizenship.

mike_hk likes this.

As I understand it, the BN(O)s who are now able to apply for British Citizenship are those who have no other nationality. In other words, non-Chinese BN(O)s - there are quite a lot of these of South Asian (Indian, etc) descent; I know one who has done so; the rule change was actually a couple of years ago. I don't think Chinese BN(O)s who are also Chinese citizens can simply apply for British Citizenship.

yes it does 100% but the problem is i am not really applying its for my friend who has no HKSAR passport but he is permanent resident of HK and i think holding a pakistnai passport and BNO.......so can u just confirm is that the right form?

okay guys thank you for the response....

Last edited by mike_hk; 19-02-2010 at 12:11 PM.

No it's not the right form - that form is for applying for a BN(O) passport. What he seems to want to do is naturalize as a British Citizen.

He should go to the British Consulate and ask their advice.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

This is probably the announcement you are referring to:
    UK Border Agency | Changes to the law on citizenship

Point 3 is regarding BN(O) holders:

3. British nationals (overseas) with no other citizenship or nationality
    British nationals (overseas) can be registered under section 4B of the British Nationality Act 1981 if they do not hold any other citizenship or nationality. A British national (overseas) will not qualify under this section if he or she has done anything after 19 March 2009 that resulted in the loss of another nationality.
    Bold is my emphasis.

So the answer is no, unless he goes to live in the UK for five years or whatever.
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 19-02-2010 at 12:31 PM.

I see thats how it works. So only the 5 year reinstallation of ancestry or whatever they call it applies.

Say if your grand parents were British subjects, who migrated to another country, you can live/work in the UK for 5 years, and then get full British citizenship installed.

Is that right ?

Based on Claire's post it would seem that he might have an issue as he is holding Pakistani nationality as well.

3. British nationals (overseas) with no other citizenship or nationality
    British nationals (overseas) can be registered under section 4B of the British Nationality Act 1981 if they do not hold any other citizenship or national

okay guys thanx for the effort appreciated it...

and okay so you mean to my frd cannot apply for it because what i heard was that if he cancel his Pakistani nationality then he can apply....?

and he is willing to give up his Pakistani nationality to apply for british national possible?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast