Like Tree2Likes

Dependant Visas

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dependant Visas

I noted with much interest the recent information regarding the above subject. And may this sound repetitive.

I would just like to clarify a few points - I have read the eligibity criteria on the Immigration web site but interpretation and practical experience would be much appreciated.

My wife is HK born with a HKID,British Passport and all her family living in HK. We are hoping to return, subject of course to addressing the requirements, to live and work.

1. What criteria would she come under to satisfy the application ?

2. I understand that it would be better for her to be in HK for the application is that correct?

3. Does she require a job or evidence of fiancial support beforehand?

4. I hope to seek a job teaching English as I have over 10 years experience teaching international students in the UK. Any comments would be appreciated.

5. Timescale from application to result approx.

Feedback would be much appreciated.

1. If her HKID says on it "Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card" then she's a HK Permanent Resident (it may be that she may have a change of status to Right to Land if she has been away from HK for more than 36 months consecutively, but that doesn't significantly affect the Dependant Visa).

2. Marginally, but only really in terms of convenience of dealing with Immigration; you can apply from outside HK as well, either by mail or to your nearest Chinese Consulate.

3. Yes - she needs to be able to show that she can provide somewhere for you to live and to support you financially.

4. Teaching English in many places (specifically language centres and private tuition) will, regrettably, be harder if you aren't white. But if you have good formal qualifications as well as experience then you might well be able to get a job in a government or ESF or independant schools.

5. Anywhere from 4 weeks to 3 months depending on how complete the information is that you supply with the application and whether ImmD requests more information (and if they do, how quickly you respond).

Bonbanjai74 likes this.

Dependant Visa - 2 Reply

Dear PDLM,

Many thanks for your very quick and helpful response I very much appreciate it.

1. Do you know whether it would meet the requirments if I stayed with my wife's parents initially and what level of finance would be required as evidence to support. Does that have to be in a HK bank account?

2. I am a rather mature 'teacher', 57 have lived in and worked in HK many years ago, speak a degree of colloquial Cantonese and visit annually - does age become a big factor in recruitment in the education environment.

Many thanks

1. Yes - a letter from your wife's parents confirming that they can offer accommodation to you should suffice. For finance, I'm not sure there are any specific numbers, but, for example, HK$200,000 (in addition to available accommodation) would undoubtedly be sufficient, and as far as I know it can be in a bank account elsewhere as long as it is clearly accessible to your wife.

2. Not sure. I suspect the genetics may be a bigger factor than the age, regrettably. I'll defer to others here from the education sector who may comment.

Bonbanjai74 likes this.

Hi PDLM,

Many thanks once again - that is great - the genetics I think are OK as I am an old Scot.

Well I think I will get cracking before I get any older!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonbanjai74:
    the genetics I think are OK as I am an old Scot.
    You should be fine then. I won't be expecting a beer for my trouble

PDLM

Hi PDLM,

If and when I arrive safe and sound then - a Scotman will always buy you a 'half ' and 'half '.The old places that I use to frequent 'Bull and Beer' and 'Beefeater' have sadly long gone.

Sorry I meant Bear

There's still a Bull and Bear - I've not been in there myself though, and I thing someone just took over the brand.

PDLM

I was in HK in November for my annual visit with my wife and the only one I noticed still in the same position as 1974 was Ned Kellys. Now that I am a bit older it is usually Cafe Pacifico at the New World Centre!!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast