Like Tree2Likes

Leaving Canadian Border with Expired HK + BNO Passport?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Because (unless you can show that you have right of abode in the country you are leaving) if you are refused entry at the destination you will be returned to the point of departure. If you do not have a valid passport then you will not be able to re-enter the country of departure and so you will get stuck in no-man's land at the airport.

The exception is when you have other documents showing a right of abode in the country you are leaving - hence the fact that I can leave HK using a valid HKID card without having to show my passport - if I am "bounced" by the destination country, the fact that I can leave HK on my ID card means that I can get back in on it.

Does my HK Birth Certificate count?

Count for what?

My guess is he asking if it counts as proof of his right to land in Hong Kong.

Definitely not if it doesn't say "right of abode verified" on it. And maybe not even then. This is a question for the airline.

What I can't understand throughout all this post is why don't you just renew your HK passport in Canada? You're not going to HK until the summer so it's not exactly if you or your mother are pushed for time. With that in mind you and your mother would be stupid risking losing the flights completely through nothing but your own fault. Absolutely crazy, you both need a wake up call to that world called reality.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Um, I am already filling out the application and ready to hand that to the nearest consulate tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    What I can't understand throughout all this post is why don't you just renew your HK passport in Canada? You're not going to HK until the summer so it's not exactly if you or your mother are pushed for time. With that in mind you and your mother would be stupid risking losing the flights completely through nothing but your own fault. Absolutely crazy, you both need a wake up call to that world called reality.
    Posted via Mobile Device

I was just wondering if a birth certificate counts

Quote Originally Posted by UnrealGamer:
    I was just wondering if a birth certificate counts
    It'll count if it's showing ROA established, but I highly doubt an airline will let you fly to HK on the basis of just a HK birth certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Canada imigration does not check passports nor visas on exit. You can leave Canada without a problem.

You will have 2 issues:
    1) The security guys at the scanners sometimes (depending on their moods and security alert levels) may check your boarding pass along with your passport. I know that they always look at pictures and names; they may or may not look at the dates.

2) All airlines check documents carefully as they are liable for bringing you back if you are rejected at the other end.

Call your Airline and check with them first and then you can also check with the Airport security itself to see if they will let you.

I think the answer will be a no :-( So just bite the bullet and try to get your passport renewed and next time dont let it expire (dont even let it get close to 6months and dont get down to your last 2 empty pages) as its a major pain as you are discovering.

HC
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairball:
    It'll count if it's showing ROA established, but I highly doubt an airline will let you fly to HK on the basis of just a HK birth certificate.
    Ok, i'll chime in... I spoke to one of the representatives for CX in Canada and Security. A valid passport is required, as one of their conditions to fly with Cathay. As HowardCoombs described above, it's true in his/her statements (1) and (2). They will check once at the CX counter, a second time when you enter and go through security. They'll ask for not just your boarding pass, but your passport...again, not sure if they'll just check the dates. A third time when walking towards the International gates and a final time, just before boarding. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by yyz2hkg:
    A valid passport is required, as one of their conditions to fly with Cathay.
    That may be true ex-Canada, but it certainly wasn't true ex-London a few years ago - they accepted me for a flight on the basis of my HK Permanent ID only.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4