RTL Facebook Group

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RTL Facebook Group

I decided to make a "right to land" facebook group for fun (and cause I'm bored right now), come join if you have RTL! I'm sure there are so many of us that got it with all the info from Geoexpat and the users.

RTL in Hong Kong | 香港入境權 | Facebook

What does Right to Land mean?
    Is it a pilot group or something?

Anyone with a HKID with RTL apply for an ROA after 7 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnialda:
    What does Right to Land mean?
    Is it a pilot group or something?
    Right to Land means almost the same thing as Right of Abode except for a few things such as not being able to vote and that you can be deported for serious crimes.

i think if you have ROA and are not in HK for 36 consecutive months then your ROA becomes a RTL.

ONLY if you earned your ROA. if you were born with it, it cannot be taken away...

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    ONLY if you earned your ROA. if you were born with it, it cannot be taken away...
    If you were born with it, I guess it can't be taken away while you are still under 21 for any reason, no matter how long you are gone from Hong Kong. But you'll lose it as soon as you turn 21 unless you've earn ROA the normal way (7 years) in the mean time.

Note: the above does not apply to Chinese nationals. Chinese nationals only get ROA, they can't get ROL unless they give up PRC nationality.

sorry, i was referring to locals, such as my husband... he could leave forever and still maintain his ROA>

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL:
    Anyone with a HKID with RTL apply for an ROA after 7 years?
    I'm sure there are people in that category out there but it's probably not as common since this status is still fairly new. Most XBCs like you and me were BDTCs before which is why we were born with ROA. After July 1 1997, there was a 18 month grace period for people like us to return to Hong Kong to settle, in other words - establishing our ROA. If you applied after January 1 1999, you will automatically have RTL having that you have not returned to Hong Kong every 36 months prior to that period.

So in other words, say you lived in Hong Kong for seven years since that period, the earliest someone can acquire ROA from RTL is January 1 2006.
    Last edited by Aritaurus; 21-03-2010 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aritaurus:
    I'm sure there are people in that category out there but it's probably not as common since this status is still fairly new. Most XBCs like you and me were BDTCs before which is why we were born with ROA. After July 1 1997, there was a 18 month grace period for people like us to return to Hong Kong to settle, in other words - establishing our ROA. If you applied after January 1 1999, you will automatically have RTL having that you have not returned to Hong Kong every 36 months prior to that period.

So in other words, say you lived in Hong Kong for seven years since that period, the earliest someone can acquire ROA from RTL is January 1 2006.
    I'm sorry for the questions...so does that mean any of the XBC's that applied before July 1, 1997 and or January 1, 1999 have ROA, but do not need to return every 36 months? thx

Quote Originally Posted by yyz2hkg:
    I'm sorry for the questions...so does that mean any of the XBC's that applied before July 1, 1997 and or January 1, 1999 have ROA, but do not need to return every 36 months? thx
    Basically, if you were eligible for ROA through being a British Dependant Territory Citizen and you came back to Hong Kong anytime between July 1, 1997 - January 1, 1999 to establish your PR, you will have ROA and you cannot be absent from Hong Kong for more than 36 months. Once you leave for more than 36 months, you will lose ROA and automatically acquire RTL.

If you applied for ROA after January 1, 1999, you will only have RTL and you will have to live in Hong Kong for seven years to acquire ROA.

I have seen someone on this board acquire ROA despite applying in 2006 because he would go back every year as a tourist. Since he entered Hong Kong every year, he was technically not absent for more than 36 months so he was eligible for ROA.
    Last edited by Aritaurus; 21-03-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast