Like Tree4Likes

HK Immigration issues

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My 2 cents - either leave at 1 month or after 6 ... anything in between just smack of indecision or incompetance. While I agree with Carang, I think there are some jobs that you just know, within 5 minutes of starting, that are not for you. IN that case, better to get out quick before the employer starts relying on you, wasting money training you etc etc. If you 're not going to quit fast, then stick it out for at least 6 months to give them some value for hiring/visa/training etc.

And ask better questions about what the job entails next time.

PS - my record for scaring off a new employee is 3 hours.....

i DID have a nasty boss once... i lasted less than 5 days...you are right, when you know, you know...BUT i didn't need sponsorship and i didn't stick it out for a month, then decide that it wasn't for me...

Eh? I have a job, worked at the same company for ten years and very happy there. However, I would not hesitate to leave any job which I disliked or felt uncomfortable in, no matter if I had been employed for a week, a month, a year or a decade.

no point in arguing about it.

i can see it from both the employee and the employer perspective.

from the perspective of the employ, yeah a job you hate sucks.
    from the point of view of a perspective employer:

if i had an application from someone like you, who spent 10 years in a position and an application from someone who stuck it out for a month... think i'd take the 10 yr applicant (all else being equal)

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    [SNIP]
    The work visa ends with your job ending [/SNIP]
    That is patently false, as explained in this thread and many other parts of this forum. The visa remains valid until the expiration date stated on the sticker in the passport (unless the Immigration Department decides to cancel it before then).

actually to clarify... the visa (allowing you to live in hk) remains valid... the ability to work does not.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    actually to clarify... the visa (allowing you to live in hk) remains valid... the ability to work does not.
    No, the ability to work also remains valid - for the same job under the existing visa, for a new job under a new one (assuming the new position meets the requirements).

no, you MUST apply for a new visa if you have a new employer (whether the immig dept decides to give you a new sticker is up to them).

Quote Originally Posted by beachball:
    The visa remains valid until the expiration date stated on the sticker in the passport (unless the Immigration Department decides to cancel it before then).
    Does that mean that it's a case by case scenario?

Well, I know for sure that "the work visa" ends with you or your company ending your contract. That's for suuure!

What I'm not sure of (and that is the most important to me right now)is wheter the "remaining in HK" is valid until your visa (the date on your passport and/or ID card) is valid and compeltely legal without risking to have any problems or issues leaving and coming back to HK.

Thank you!

ps: yes I did sign a contract