Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hairball

changing visa's while in HK...

changing visa's while in HK...

Hi all,

My fiancee and I are moving to HK in July as I've been offered a job out there. With exams looming at the end of June, along with other preparations, it's come at a really awkward time for my fiancee to apply for work before leaving.

So, a couple of questions:

1 - Can she apply for work and transfer her visa while living in HK?
    2 - Does she require an extended visa or can she stay up to 6 months on her British Passport?
    3 - Can we marry in HK and transfer her status to dependent?
    4 - Do you think it would be better to get married before we go?

thanks all!
    Very excited to getting out there!

1. If you are married then to her, she can apply as a dependent. Unfortunately no real way around that. But I imagine she could also apply for employment visa as well in her own right, if you don't want to marry yet.

2. If she's British, yes 6 months typically allowed as a visitor. If she wants to stay longer she will have to apply for an extension of stay or do a "visa run", which may have risks involved, unless she can get a visa to live there.

3. Yes, this seems to be a common story here on Geoexpat.

4. Probably, but doesn't appear to be ultimately necessary.

ukaser likes this.

thanks mate, you're a proper guru! I think everything you've posted that I've read so far has been useful!

another Q: Can she apply for work while living with me in HK?

I think we'll try and do that, if possible, and if it's looking ropey get married after a few months.. .

Also, will there be any problems on arrival with her 'open-return' flight?

Thanks again!

She cannot legally live with you in Hong Kong without a visa. Whilst on a Visitor Visa she must, in principle, have her primary home somewhere else.

Yes, in practice (even if legally it's a bit of a grey area), she can come on a visitor visa and look for work that would enable her to be sponsored for an Employment Visa in her own right. Remember: no free health care whilst doing this, so make sure you have travel insurance which covers you for extended trips like that (most don't).

In practice, I have never heard of anyone with a British passport entering on a visitor visa being asked to show a return ticket. And certainly and open-dated return ticket would be fine.

If you decide to get married do it in hk! faster and cheaper !