7 years to be permanent ?

Closed Thread

7 years to be permanent ?

Hi there,
    In spite i'm only half way to this, here is a technical question about that rule:
    Is it 7 years of obtaining that visa in general; or 7 years really spent on the HK soil. As each time we go in/out of the territory we scan our HKID and computers check our times out, it brings up that question.
    What if we spend few months a year oustside for professional reasons?

You can go in and out, but it has to be 7 years ordinary residence. You have to still demonstrate that Hong Kong is your home during that time. Being away for short periods is acceptable, but for longer ones, it potentially can be a problem. It depends a lot on the circumstances.

With your application you will have to submit documents to demonstrate 7 years of uninterrupted residence in HK (tax receipts, salary slips, utility bills, etc).

If I am not mistaken you can be away for up to 6 months at a time if you have a good reason for it (ie. studying overseas).

Once you apply for ROA, you will have to get a list at the Immigration Department of all your entry/exits into HK which you then in turn need to submit with your application. You will then have the chance to see all the "gaps" and come up with a proper explanation if you need to.

I was a bit confused as to what I need, so I followed the two guides here:
    http://www.emigra.com.hk/hongkong/page78.php
    http://www.emigra.com.hk/hongkong/page79.php

Last edited by 100LL; 12-04-2010 at 11:06 AM.

On education, yes, it is clear that going overseas for education does not constitute a break in "ordinary residence" provided that you depart from HK immediately before the course and return to it immediately after.

I've never come across the lists of entries and exits. It certainly wasn't necessary when I applied 3 years ago, although I guess ImmD looked at it when considering the application.

In my case I had spent up to 200 days per year outside HK, but it was almost all clearly short-term business travelling to multiple destinations. There is no limit on days out as such, provided that it is clear than HK has been you place of residence during the seven years.