Student visa and internship

Closed Thread

Student visa and internship

I am here on a student visa and earning my associate degree. I am required to do an internship by my school but since I am not an degree student (HK immigration does not consider a Associate degree to be a degree ) I never recieved a No Objection Letter.

I went to immigration and didnt get to speak with an officer as the front desk explained to me that my course was "not on the list".

Is there anyway for me to speak to someone a bit higher on the chain? It seems strange that I am told to study and graduate but becasuse an internship is required (150 hours non paid) they will not allow me to work.

Any suggestions? Thanks

I would talk to whichever college/whatever is sponsoring your visa - they must have encountered this problem before unless you are their first ever Associate Degree student on a Study Visa...

Kyamato - Yes you need to be on an accredited program to be entitled to an internship. Ask the immmigration what is considered an accredited program.

If you are entitled to work on your student visa, then I believe you should have been issued with a valid 'No objection letter' which then needs to be endorsed by your school which they assess you on how suitable the job role is to what you are studying.

I find it strange that your school expects you to obtain an internship, if this is not possible, and therefore assume that you should be able to get a visa.

Are they allowing non locals to take up associate degree in HK? Normally degree programs admit international students...Just curious.

I'm from Vietnam. I have intend to register for a degree to an international college in HK by this year. How can I apply for a student visa?