Like Tree3Likes

Anyone apply work visa recently? Help!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Anyone apply work visa recently? Help!

Hi everyone,
    My to-be company submitted my work visa on March 29th, and it has been 3 weeks and a bit now. I wonder anyone applied work visa recently, can share your case's turnaround time? I already quit my job and income-less now. I don't know how long I have to wait anymore.
    Please help! Thank you very much!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Usually time is 4-6 weeks, assuming all the paperwork is in order. Occasionally it is faster, but that would be the exception.

if you have your case reference no. then you can call the immigration office for a follow-up. good luck!

Don't call ImmD within the first 4 weeks (and preferably not the first 6 weeks) - that will just piss them off. How long it takes depends on a number of factors, including whether your employer has employed people on Employment Visas previously. Also remember that since 29th March there have been 4 days of public holiday, so add that on to the processing time.

Football16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Don't call ImmD within the first 4 weeks (and preferably not the first 6 weeks) - that will just piss them off.
    i've chased them 3 times for 3 separate visa applications and they were very helpful on following-up those cases and i always got a call back within that day or the next.

Thank you for all the reply.
    I've got informed by the company HR that my permit was approved, and they will pick it up next monday.
    The wait is over! It took 3 weeks and a half (including easter holidays)
    Good luck to the people who are still waiting!

Quote Originally Posted by midnight_flying:
    Thank you for all the reply.
    I've got informed by the company HR that my permit was approved, and they will pick it up next monday.
    The wait is over! It took 3 weeks and a half (including easter holidays)
    Good luck to the people who are still waiting!
    3 weeks with the amount of holiday we've had is pretty good for bureaucracy anywhere. Another reason why I like Hong Kong!

the fact that the OP is jobless at the mo might have sped up his process - the immigration does that for "special" circumstances.

Papers submitted 1 April. Case number confirmed 9 April. Request for additional information 12 April. Visas issued 20 April.

Chased once, on 14 April as a follow-up to submitting the additional information and was promised 'within one week'. True to their word.

I've always found the Immigration Department very helpful and receptive to requests to 'rush' applications when people are needed urgently.

The only bad experience I have had with them was around December 2008/January 2009 when they were bedding in a new computer system which unfortunately wasn't tracking things very well.

Quote Originally Posted by aava:
    i've chased them 3 times for 3 separate visa applications and they were very helpful on following-up those cases and i always got a call back within that day or the next.
    I am with PDLM on this. It is best as they say at HK Immigration for applicants to not bother them. HK Immigration meet and beat their timelines (not heard they don't and my experience says they do).

If they are missing something they will get back to you in writing. Calling them as they say delays them not speeds things up. It is a policy driven application process with the onus on the applicant and sponsor to provide them with what they need to make an administrative decision. They don't discuss things. They review applications and if they meet their criteria you get your visa.

Those who I know failed were those who were calling and constantly changing from lawyer to accountant to lawyer and now this person I know who did this moved away. It is a mistake to think that the presence of a professional on your file leads to them finding some loop hole as there are none. They assess based on their policy and criteria being met. The charming tones of your voice or requests for status I don't think enthrall any bureaucrat.

aava here may be a pro on this and can tell me I'm wrong but I very seriously question any advice that says bother them to find out what they are doing.
    Last edited by Football16; 23-04-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast