Like Tree2Likes

BN(0) citizen = BDT citizen?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BN(0) citizen = BDT citizen?

is there a difference between BN(O) citizen and British Dependent Territories citizen?

BDT Citizen = 3rd class citizen
    BN(O) holder = Not classified as citizen at all.

i just found online that BDT citizen was classified as BN(O) citizen and BO citizen after the handover so there's no difference...unless someone wants to prove me wrong!

PDLM??

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Hong Kong BDTC passports ceased to be valid at the end of June 1997. Hong Kong BDTC passport holders had to apply for an BN(O) from the 1 July 1997.

As stated above, BN(O) is not citizenship at all. It's basically just a travel document which also entitles you to some level of British Consular support when outside China. BN(O) basically superseded BDTC for HK passport holders, and downgraded them in the process.

thanks - so am i correct to say that a BN(O) passport holder is a citizen of British Dependent Territories (currently known as British Overseas Territories) coz HK falls under British Dependent Territories?

Last edited by aava; 27-04-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by aava:
    thanks - so am i correct to say that a BN(O) passport holder is a citizen of British Dependent Territories (currently known as British Overseas Territories)?
    No. Special rules were introduced in 1986 (for HK only) to allow British overseas territories citizens from Hong Kong to acquire the new status of British (National) overseas. Therefore they are BN(O) holders, having lost BDTC status when a) they applied for the BN(O) and/or b) 1997 arrived.
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 27-04-2010 at 04:46 PM.

...ok....so am i correct to say that a BN(O) holder was/used to be BDTC?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    As stated above, BN(O) is not citizenship at all. It's basically just a travel document which also entitles you to some level of British Consular support when outside China. [SNIP]
    I believe it is a little more complicated than that. FOTH basically summarizes the position of the Chinese government. However, under British law BN(O) are considered British nationals and Commonwealth (but not British) citizens. Notably, BN(O) status does not confer right of abode in Britain.
    Treatment by other countries varies - while BN(O) passport holders can travel to EU countries visa-free (like Schengen passport holders), they are not included in the visa-waiver program of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by aava:
    ...ok....so am i correct to say that a BN(O) holder was/used to be BDTC?
    BDTC ceased to exist as of the handover of Hong Kong in 1997.

But I believe all BDTCs could have registered as BN(O) - though they can't anymore. So in a way yes, but not automatically.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast