Chinese visa application

Chinese visa application

Hello all,
    I'm a Malaysian passport holder who is currently working in Hong Kong on employment visa. I'm interested in applying for a multiple-entry tourist visa to China.

My company engages an agent for the business visas, so they did me a favor by asking the agent for details on my behalf. I was told that I could only apply for a 6-month visa this time round, and I have to pay HKD 800. I checked on the official website and found out that the visa app fee is only HKD 400, therefore by deduction the remaining 400bucks is the agent's service charge. It seems a little steep to me - I'm wondering how bad the wait is if I go to the Wanchai office in person? Is it going to be a half-hour wait, one-hour, or longer? Has anyone gone there recently?

As background info I've previously held 2 single-entry tourist visas in 2005 and 2009 respectively. I applied once in the US and once in Malaysia. The Chinese Embassy in Malaysia is fairly efficient - I filled in my form at home and managed to submit within 30 minutes.

Any insights/ recent personal experience would be highly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

It's very easy to apply by yourself. It was around a 30 minute wait when I put in the application, and similar when I picked it up. But I wasn't in a hurry and wasn't checking my watch so maybe it was a little longer. Perhaps the main problem is the office is only open during office hours - so if you are working, you need to take time off.

Last edited by drumbrake; 27-04-2010 at 09:59 PM.

word of advice just don't go on Monday's or any day after a public holiday as there will loads of people queuing up.