Like Tree1Likes

dependent visa termination

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

dependent visa termination

Dear all

Due to domestic disputes between me and my wife we are both seperated and back in india as the marriage took place in india not hong kong so the divorce will be done here.

I am hong kong permanent residence and i have sponsor my wife dependent visa first time she got it for one year and second time she has it for 3 years now. since i do not want to be responsible for her actions that she may take when she is in hong kong and do not want to sponsor her anymore so how can i cancel my wife hong kong visa so she is unable to travel to hong kong and cause nuisence for me.

your replies will be highly appreciated

As an Indian passport holder she will always be able to enter Hong Kong on 14 day visitor visas anyway.

But presumably you just write to ImmD and tell them that you withdraw your sponsorship of her visa. I'm not aware of a form for that purpose, so just write them a letter.

And you don't have to get divorced in the same country you got married - it would be perfectly possible to divorce your wife in Hong Kong, subject to the rules applying here (which needs one year's legal separation or cause (adultery, etc)).

Quote Originally Posted by tectoe:
    Dear all

Due to domestic disputes between me and my wife we are both seperated and back in india as the marriage took place in india not hong kong so the divorce will be done here.

I am hong kong permanent residence and i have sponsor my wife dependent visa first time she got it for one year and second time she has it for 3 years now. since i do not want to be responsible for her actions that she may take when she is in hong kong and do not want to sponsor her anymore so how can i cancel my wife hong kong visa so she is unable to travel to hong kong and cause nuisence for me.

your replies will be highly appreciated
    I doubt you can do that! even after divorce her visa is valid until it expires. thats what I found it when I was searching for info for my friend.
    tectoe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    As an Indian passport holder she will always be able to enter Hong Kong on 14 day visitor visas anyway.

But presumably you just write to ImmD and tell them that you withdraw your sponsorship of her visa. I'm not aware of a form for that purpose, so just write them a letter.

And you don't have to get divorced in the same country you got married - it would be perfectly possible to divorce your wife in Hong Kong, subject to the rules applying here (which needs one year's legal separation or cause (adultery, etc)).
    I doubt his wife would want to get separated in Hong Kong. AFAIK, rules in HK are different in HK than in India. Law is in favour of women in India. (someone please correct me if I am wrong). I heard from someone whose brother is getting divorced in Hong Kong that here you have to split all assets (property etc) 50-50 among husband and wife, means wife's assets also needs to split. This includes even if they own property in other country. (again, someone please correct me if I have wrong info). So I dont think the lady would want to do that.
    Last edited by mercury_element; 29-04-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Thank you for your reply

Anyhow is it possible to cancel her dependent visa for me as i sponsered it?

Quote Originally Posted by tectoe:
    Anyhow is it possible to cancel her dependent visa for me as i sponsered it?
    better you check with immd for this info as they can give you accurate information. Please let us know what they say.
    Last edited by mercury_element; 29-04-2010 at 05:58 PM.

sure i'll let you know what i can get.

Does being the sponsor of a visa have any ramifications? I have never heard of any yet and would be interested to find out. Because if not, then the OP does not need to cancel his ex-wife's visa, giving him one less thing to worry about (and one less item to be vindictive about, from the sound of things).

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Does being the sponsor of a visa have any ramifications? I have never heard of any yet and would be interested to find out. Because if not, then the OP does not need to cancel his ex-wife's visa, giving him one less thing to worry about (and one less item to be vindictive about, from the sound of things).
    I doubt there are any!

A sponsor is on the hook for your airfare out of HK if I recall correctly and making sure you leave. Not sure of the exact working and not sure if it applies to dependent visas like work ones.

The rest of the stuff a wife or estranged partner can do is more related to financial and credit card sorts of things.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast