Salary linked to work visa?

Salary linked to work visa?

Hello,

I was wondering if your salary is important when obtaining a work visa. I thought skills and experience were the most important. I've had some interviews for a position in HK and it will be around 10,000 HK$ a month.

Skills and work experience which are not found in HK are important. They do have some minimum (unofficial) salary requirements.

Your salary is secondary, but depending on the job description it can be important. For example you may be hired as a waiter in a new Albanian restaurant and if the employer can convince immigration that they need someone who speaks Albanian and can explain Albanian widgets to fellow albanian customers AND the employer is investing a few million dollars AND the employer is hiring some locals.... you get the drift?

Emigra

hello

10k is quite low for what the immigration department would expect for a foeign national applying for a working visa, any comission or housing?

Nope, probably no comission or housing. I would get hired for my language skills. Also the company is of the same nationality as me (Netherlands).

Last edited by Gatts; 17-12-2003 at 08:16 PM.

I got told $20k is the unofficial minimum requirement, but of course it depends more on your "unique skills" than salary. But bear in mind, the more you earn the more tax you give back to "contribute" to Hong Kong, so I'm sure money's a definite factor.

Unfortunately Hong Kong's economy seems to be down the toilet, so for inexperienced people high salaries are very rare.

Emigra

hello

I normally recommend 20k. It can be difficult justifying to the Imm department that for 10K salary the company cannot find someone in Hong Kong for that fee, but then again your skills are also an important factor as well as years of experience in your current field.