Work visa for my Canadian husband

Closed Thread

Unhappy Work visa for my Canadian husband

I am a HK citizen, and my Canadian boyfriend and I are getting married in summer. I have a pretty good job here in HK, and my husband would also love to stay in HK for at least a year or two, and I'm sure he can stay here as long as he wants if I sponsor him. Does he still need to apply for a work visa if he wants to get a job here in HK?

Here's the problem... he doesn't have a college degree, he ran his own company for about 10 years, and only started to get a real job about 3 years ago after he sold his business. So he has no qualification nor impressive working experience/ CV, even if he could find a job here, they still wont grant him the work visa. What can we do?

The worst scenario is me going back to Canada with him. Darn....

good news

Once you are married, he will not need a working permit, so he can just focus on finding the job.

So you mean he can automatically work in HK once he's married to me and no work visa is needed??

WOW... that's good news!!

really?

ohhh im not sure thats 100% right..

If you have hk citizenship and you are married, he is allowed to work in HK as your dependant.
    A few months ago, the issue would have been if you were not a HK permanent citizen (which I believ you are), then he couldn't have worked but as they changed (reverted to the previous version) the law, this is not an issue anymore, if you are HK citizen (permanent or not), he is allowed to work as your dependant. He does have to apply for a dependant visa, which is a mere formality.

What kristof says will be true shortly - the government has announced that dependents on non-permanent residents will again be allowed to work with any new visa, but no effective date for this change has yet been announced.

But in the case of Joycey, there is no doubt that once you are married your husband's dependent visa will allow him to work without any further visa requirement.