Going as a dependant visa, can you work in HK?

Closed Thread

Going as a dependant visa, can you work in HK?

My husband has recently been transfered to HK and we are moving in July this year from the US. We''ll be there for about 3 years. Although I am still trying to work out what to do when I get there. I am getting a dependant visa. I do not know if It is possible to get your own work visa once you get to Hong Kong and are on a dependent visa? I am 27, have a International business degree and experience. do I have a chance?

Is there any chance of strating my own business there? Can you do that?

I guess at 27, childless, I am not overly thrilled about not being able to work and wonder if there is any hope at all!!
    Thanks so much

Last edited by Keb; 29-04-2006 at 01:48 PM.

As it stands now, you will not be able to work unless your spouse is a Hong Kong Permanent ID Card holder.

News has it that they will change the rules so that dependants will be able to work later this year but no date has been set. Let's hope that it's before July!

If it hasn't changed yet, you may want to consider an investor's visa, though it seems that the guys at immigration are getting tougher!

Hope this helps.

I think the announcement of the change will happen sooner rather than later. My visa was caught up in red tape due to this change back in November and I was also told that recruitment agents are starting to look at all their dependent candidates now.

I wouldn't worry too much, there are loads of us around that age, with boyf's or hubbies and we all found jobs once here. I'm sure you'll find something, good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

where to live

Thank you for your comments. Gave me some hope!
    My husband is going to be working in Wanchai, we have been looking for apartments in mid-levels and repulse bay. I've heard that's where most of the expats live. I really would like to have some familiar faces around and that is why I am looking in these 2 areas. I would like to know if it is relatively easy to go from Repulse bay to Wanchai using public transportation, or would it be better for him if we get something in mid-levels? Is buying a car expensive? Is it worth to buy a car? a lot of traffic? If there is anyone living there who could answer my questions, I 'll really appreciate it.

One more question. If I have my dependant visa and find a job when there, do they have to sponsor the work visa for me? And if so, do I have to give up my dependant visa or I can have both? Just in case I decide to stop working for any reason, I would like to still be able to be with my husband. Thank you

You'll have to change to an employment visa once you find a job. When and if you decide not to work anymore, you can easily change it back to a dependant visa. However, this will all change once dependants are allowed to work.

hi all

this article confirms that it is going to happen, however no confirmed date

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_d...282&con_type=1

cheers