Shenzhen Customs & Immigration

Closed Thread

Shenzhen Customs & Immigration

G'day Everyone,

My wife and I are travelling to Hong Kong later in the year and we've heard there is excellent shopping in Shenzhen. I've read that there can be long delays at the railway crossing at LoWu. Could someone please tell me how long those delays might be and if they are avoidable at certain times of the day. Would a bus direct from Hong Kong Airport be a better option and avoid lengthy delays at customs & immigration? We will get the necessary visas to enter China before leaving Australia.

I have quite a number of questions to ask but I'll leave it at that for now.

Thanks for your help.

John

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=773 is a good place to start your research.

Lo Wu delays can be about 2-3 odd hours, if you're going towards the begining of a holiday or returning towards the end of the holiday due to the rush. Normal processing time (at about 11am to avoid commuter traffic) is about 20 minutes.

I expect the delays will be the same if you take the Airport bus.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=773 is a good place to start your research.

Lo Wu delays can be about 2-3 odd hours, if you're going towards the begining of a holiday or returning towards the end of the holiday due to the rush. Normal processing time (at about 11am to avoid commuter traffic) is about 20 minutes.

I expect the delays will be the same if you take the Airport bus.
    G'day Knowitall,

Thanks for the reply. We'll be going "off season" and we're not regimented to any particular time of day to travel. Is mid/late afternoon weekdays a good time to travel on the train back to Hong Kong?

One more question if you would. How safe is Shenzhen during the day and night in the Lo Wu and the Dongmen (I think that's how it's spelt) areas?

Thanks.

John

i think, not that safe..

hello, i have been to shenzhen couple of times, and i have seen pickpocket in action. try not to carry too much cash, unless u know for sure u r in for shopping and only 1 credit card, won't be too much hassle if u lose your wallet.
    have a nice trip.

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

Hi John,

I'd recommend you go there during the week to avoid the mad rush. Have you considered the ferries? There is a regular service to Shenzhen from Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon. You can get them from the China Ferry Terminal at the China HK City or even from Shun Tak Centre in Sheung Wan.

As for how safe the place is , that would depend on where you are in Shenzhen. Stories abound on what happens there. Your best bet would be to go with someone who has been there before and knows what to do and where to go, and more importantly travel light and be vigilant.

G'day Reei & Max,

Thanks for the replies. Reei, you can rest assured I won't be carrying a wallet in my back pocket. The only cash I'll have will be in my hand and it'll take a surgical procedure to remove it , but thanks for your advice.

Max, how far are the ferries from Lo Wu? I presume tickets for them can be purchased in Lo Wu. How long is the trip from Lo Wu to Kowloon?

Thanks.

John