Where to live - 15-20k. Please help me find the perfect area

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Where to live - 15-20k. Please help me find the perfect area

Im moving to HK in August with my girlfriend and would appreciate some advice on which area to move to.

We are both Australian, in our late 20s and are students, studying at the Uni of Hong Kong (HK island) and City University of Hong Kong (U understand that Kowloon Tong MTR station is close).

Our budget is approx 15-20k per month and we are looking for a 1 bedroom apartment (not a studio) for approximately 1 year.

So my questions are:

1. which areas in HK would be best for us? Ideally, we would like to be no more than 40min from either uni (peak hour), close to restaurants/supermarkets, no more than 30min from nightlife and the apartment should be clean. A view, gymn, pool and other extras are not important to us.

2. Which of the following will be the cheapest?
    (a) to rent a serviced apartment;
    (b) to rent a furnished apartement; or
    (c) to rent a vacant apartment and buy the furtniture ourselves (we would be happy buying from ikea or second hand)

Thanks for any help you may be able to give us.

Was it you who posted a similar post before but said your GF was gonna be at the Polytechnic?

Since commute times to your two universities is a key criteria and assuming you are spending an equal amount of time at both (presumably you are each attending one of them), then I'd look at living somewhere geographically at the midpoint between them.

For instance, if you were to look at the western side of Wanchai, then you'd be walking distance to the Admiralty MTR (once you get to Three Pacific Place, there's an underground tunnel the rest of the way) where you can hop on one train up to Kowloon Tong, whereas the other person could hop on bus 23 in Wanchai or again at Admiralty MTR and that goes out to the University of Hong Kong.

That bus 23 goes through Midlevels in Central, so you could live there too, but your rental money won't go as far there and the other person would have to make their way down to the Central MTR (not a huge deal, but crowded and what not). Sheung Wan could be an option too, as it's affordable and can catch the same MTR to Kowloon Tong, and there must be a bus to HKU, if not hiking up to catch the 23.

Last edited by jabalong; 22-06-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Some place in Kowloon (TST / HungHom / Jordan / Kowloon Tong) that way you are in the middle. Plenty of flats meet your criteria in those areas.

I live in one of the area listed above, work in Central and the wife in Kowloon Tong. It takes us max 25mn per trip. and we pay less than 15K for a 750 sq appartment with HK harbour view.

My friend is going to leave Hong Kong this summer but he rented a very nice flat which has a roof top in Wanchai near Hopewell Center. His contract is until early next year. He would like to find someone who would continue his contract. He already discussed with the landlord and he's ok with someone taking over the flat.

Wanchai is an area which perfectly meet your requirement. Your girlfriend can take the MTR to go to CityU which takes around 20 minutes. You can go to HKU by minibus 56 or 56A or bus No. 40 or 23.

if you are interested in the flat, I can send you the pictures. The rent is only HK$8500 per month. You can contact me through my e-mail: [email protected]

one thing none here have yet mentioned is the fact that the standard contract for a flat is 2 years...with an option to exit the lease after 14 months.

One year seems common enough though.

it's NOT common... it's 12 months MINIMUM PLUS 2 months notice (occasionally you can talk a landlord into 1 month notice)...so, you are looking at at least 13-14 months...NOT 1 year. (i've signed at least 8 -10~maybe more~leases in my time here and NEVER have i seen a 1 year straight-up lease).

now, if you are lucky AND a good negotiator, then MAYBE you could score a 1 year lease...

Agree with carang.

The "approximately 1 year" from the OP maybe means 13 0r 14 months in which case no issue

Else it will be a case by case - not impossible to find though

Manhattan Heights in Kennedy Town will see you with a 2 bed appt approx 700sq ft, pool, squash courts, gym etc and less than 20 grand a month. Loads of buses into Central etc so transport no probs.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast