wstudios - is it ok? any reviews?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

wstudios - is it ok? any reviews?

I'm moving to HK shortly, and I need a cheap serviced apartment. After much searching, I have decided that wstudios (www.wstudios.com.hk) seems to be the best for price.

However, I have just come across some negative reviews of the place (see this thread http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread3134.html

I understand that the photos on the site are 'misleading,' but I received about 10 photos from the owner of the smallest room, and they look to be 'authentic'. The room looks small, but looks clean and newly renovated.

I have also heard that the owner can be quite disorganised, people have turned up there after making a reservation, and he hasnt even known who they are.

I am just wondering what people think of this place? Is anyone staying there now? Is it a good place to stay? And also, is the internet service reliable?

Is there anywhere else that would be better for the price? (6-7k/month).

Last edited by captaincleanoff; 08-05-2006 at 02:02 PM.

HI

At first forget all of your expections about appartements.
    I'm just arrived in HKG this weekend and i'm staying in another studio.

Today i looked for a new place and i visited the wstudios. Actually the renew some of the rooms, but they'll finish in one week.

Anyway the rooms looked clean and ok. The only negative were for me the shower and the toilets. Finally you've to make the decision and probably it's the best way to stay at first in a hotel and then searching for a flat.

I hope i could help you

I'm staying at w-studios right now. Paying $7,000 a month for one of the older rooms. About 300 sqf so it's quite small. The room shows some sign of age but the weekly maid service keeps it all clean. All appliances (TV, DVD player, microwave, ADSL etc) work well and if there's any problem the guys here are real cool about fixing or replacing it quickly.

The new rooms you mentioned have been recently renovated. I think they've finished a few floors and have a few left. The $6,000 and $7000 rooms are very small. Only room for a single bed and a bit of walking space between the bed and wall. The shower in the tinier rooms have no retainer to stop the water. Other than that the fit and finish is quite nicely done.

I had the same problem when I moved in. Arrived at 8 pm and no one was there. Was pi$$ed that they didn't tell me that before I arrived. I ended waiting for another guest to arrive who let me in. Turns out they had a room ready for me and the key in room. But apart from that one problem the guys who work here are real cool. Very helpful, friendly, don't bug you with payments.

thanks for the info exited. How many rooms are there in the place?

Does it have to be Central? If not, why not check out following:

http://www.horizonsuitehotel.com/eng/index.html

Apart from commute to Central, if you work in Central (which takes 30 minutes), everything else about it seems superior to the place you mention.

The place has been recommended by someone on this site, so it seems to be as good as it looks on paper (or rather website). It's definitely about the only quality serviced apartment you can get for that price range, apart from also

http://www.harbour-plaza.com/en/home...on_id=overview

...which is well out of the way at Tin Shui Wai.

I have to say the horizon suite hotel does look very attractive.

Do you think it would be better to live in Ma On Shan, and have a better and bigger flat? Or would it be better to live on the HK side in a smaller place, and be right amoungst the atmosphere, and not have to worry about travel fees?

I really cant decided which to go for. Both has their advantages... Im going to be by myself, and I have no job lined up yet, which should i go for?

For me, the choice out of the two is obvious, whether I had a job or not, in Central or not. On the one hand, you have a newly built hotel like apartment suite almost 3 times the size of the one in Central (which in UK parlance would be called a bedsit); it faces the sea and has beautiful surroundings that allow you to relax, has full hotel amenities, is a stones throw away from Shatin (which is not a bad little town in itself) and easy commuting to Central or Kowloon when you need to be among the action. Is a 30 minute commute on the one or two nights you go out gonna kill you? The money you save on travel by being close to the action is easily going to be squandered away and then some by going out more often because your tiny little room in Central offers no reason to stay there except to sleep. Unless youre a virtual dusk till dawn party animal that literally only needs a place to sleep, youre gonna be spending some time at home, especially since you dont have a job yet. So why not make home that little bit more comfy and relaxing?

Just my opinion, thats all.

yes but i would be some distance from restaurants... and from what i can tell, it would end up being more expensive. The ma on shan place is $6600, not including internet or electricity, so im guessing that it will ending up being closer to 10k. Wstudios is only 6k a month.

Is anyone staying at this place in Ma On Shan. Any feedback?

i have started another thread to find out a bit more about this Horizon Suite Hotel place. It does look very interesting

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread10114.html

Quote Originally Posted by captaincleanoff
    yes but i would be some distance from restaurants... and from what i can tell, it would end up being more expensive. The ma on shan place is $6600, not including internet or electricity, so im guessing that it will ending up being closer to 10k. Wstudios is only 6k a month.
    There are plenty of good decent restaraunts in Sha Tin so don't worry about that bit. internet and electricity should not cost you more than $5-600 a month extra on top of the monthly rental.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast