Like Tree3Likes

Tiny insects in my apartment - help!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I have been gulty of hijacking tags on a bunch of discussion threads before but WTF!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks guys for all the help especially the link to the older thread.

Turned on the aircons full blast for half an hour, then turned them off.

Dehumudifier on, and then had a couple of jars of Speedtox Fleas and Mites Fumigator fuming away.

Windows closed, ran out of apartment. Will stay with friends tonight.

Sudden thought though - the fumes from the fumigator, will it like spark flames in the dehumidifier (which is placed pretty close to the jar) and cause a fire????

Yes, probably.

do they seem to be still? or do they seem to be "jumping"

it's book lice if it's the first, springtails (a relative of the first) if the latter. they come out during the humid weather.

harmless yes - but accdg to the pest control company - the latter could cause allergies in some people.

check around the inside of the flat for the bugs too.

it was advised that dehumidifiers and fog sprays and insecticides are only effective for a short time. if you have an infestation, they will return again and again. i had the same problem before and had the pest company deal with them.

if you are unsure - have a free site inspection from the pest control companies, and i can highly recommend the one i used.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger
    Yes, probably.
    You mean the dehumidifier will catch fire with a spark from the fumes? Really? Then someone should tell OP to turn the thing off!

Quote Originally Posted by ALAU
    You mean the dehumidifier will catch fire with a spark from the fumes? Really? Then someone should tell OP to turn the thing off!
    Oh my God! Is that true? I am panicking now! I am staying with a friend all the way out in Tai Po and can't rush back! In any case, there will be POISONOUS FUMES in there now and I can't go in?

Gosh I hope the apartment won't burn down!!

Quote Originally Posted by ALAU
    I have seen those in an apartment I lived in before. Doesn't really harm one but it disgusts and scares me to think that they could be crawling up my body...
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are all kind of tiny insects that live on our bodies, including in our eyelashes and eyebrows, and we eat several insects (or fragments of insects) every day.
    bookblogger and TigerSun like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ArKay
    A little off-topic for the OP but MI07, I think those things are always in the flour but are in egg form when you buy it and so can't see them until they hatch. Disgusting I know. But true I think. Weevils I think...
    we freeze our flour and rice for a few nights after purchase to get rid of the bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey
    we freeze our flour and rice for a few nights after purchase to get rid of the bugs.
    Aha! Good tip. They must be harmless anyway - we're all probably eating them the whole time.

To the OP - I have a feeling bookblogger was winding you up...

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey
    I'm so scared of weevils in my chapatis, I freeze them as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast