Like Tree3Likes

Tiny insects in my apartment - help!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Glos
    Oh my God! Is that true? I am panicking now! I am staying with a friend all the way out in Tai Po and can't rush back! In any case, there will be POISONOUS FUMES in there now and I can't go in?
    Unfortunately it's a straight choice between walking into your flat and facing sudden death from the fumigation, or letting it burn down.

Maybe we could start a poll?

Quote Originally Posted by ALAU
    You mean the dehumidifier will catch fire with a spark from the fumes? Really? Then someone should tell OP to turn the thing off!
    Why would the smoke from the fumigator 'spark' the dehumidifyer? I think bookblogger was being sarcastic.

I don't run the dehumidifier at the same time as fumigating because my dehumidfiers have air filters and the whole point of fumigating is not to filter out the stuff they're putting into the air. I don't think there's any danger of having the dehumidifier on, though.

Hi Kate,

I know what you are talking about. If you seriously eamine your wall and ceiling, you will find these "insects" everywhere in hundreds pieces. It is common in dark and high humidity or corners of the wall.

These insects are very common in HONG KONG especially you awlays turn on your air conditioner at night and turn off it when you are out. In this way, the mold will be attached (minor or major) to your wall.

They will not jump but will walk around your apartments.
    Trust me. Dehumidifier or fumigator will NOT kill these insects for sure.

You can leave me your email address if you want to kill them all.

Regards,

Bruce from Kennedy Town

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce_Yung
    Hi Kate,

I know what you are talking about. If you seriously eamine your wall and ceiling, you will find these "insects" everywhere in hundreds pieces. It is common in dark and high humidity or corners of the wall.

These insects are very common in HONG KONG especially you awlays turn on your air conditioner at night and turn off it when you are out. In this way, the mold will be attached (minor or major) to your wall.

They will not jump but will walk around your apartments.
    Trust me. Dehumidifier or fumigator will NOT kill these insects for sure.

You can leave me your email address if you want to kill them all.

Regards,

Bruce from Kennedy Town

Do you work for a pest control company?

ALAU

No, I never work for Pet Control Company.

I meet the same problem a few weeks ago and resolve it after some research.

I need to send Kate some pictures how to kill the insects via email address and of course Kate needs to buy something at her own.

Why do you think that I work in the company?

Bruce

Fragile likes this.

You could instead post the pictures up over here for the benefit of anyone else in the same situation, now or in future.

That would, of course, go against your interests if you worked for pest control, hence the preference for dealing via PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce_Yung
    I need to send Kate some pictures how to kill the insects via email address and of course Kate needs to buy something at her own...
    Wouldn't mind knowing how to get rid of these type of tiny critters, too. Recently had to use the spray version of 'Speedtox - Fleas & Mites' and did it smell LETHAL... FOUL... Even half a day later.

So, would welcome other ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Glos
    I am the tenant of an apartment in Wanchai, which I recently rented.

I have only just moved into the apartment. It is very clean, but lately I noticed that on some white woodwork near the window, there are some TINY TINY insects crawling about - they are smaller than a pinpoint, reddish-brown in colour, and I would have thought it was just dust if they weren't moving! Not many, about 4-5 at any one time in an area of about 2 square meters. But every time I remove them, in about an hour or so I see another 4-5 new ones. No idea where they came from.

The apartment is beautiful, newly-renovated, all the furniture and appliances are new, and my landlord is wonderful. As the apartment is new and cleaned VERY WELL when it was handed over to me, I don't want to trouble the landlord when I don't even know what those insects are and how to get rid of them for good (I mean if it was my own apartment I still wouldn't know, it is not exactly a SERIOUS pest problem so I won't ask a costly pest control company to come).

Has anyone seen those? Do you know what they are? Do you know how I can kill them or find where they came from?
    I am in the pest control business and am the technical manager and urban entomologist with BioCycle (HK) Ltd. Sounds to me more like you have insects related to moisture/ mold/ dampness. Common occurrence at this time of year and especially as you mentioned that the apartment is newly renovated. Often with newly renovated premises you will find booklice/psocids, fungus beetles or springtails occurring. You don't need to gas yourself out of the place and most of these problems can be fixed with controlling the temperature and humidity. Treatment comes when immediate control is required. More importantly we can guess as much as we like but with out a site inspect and/ or pictures of the insect there is no confirmed diagnosis. We carry our free no obligation inspections............ Have a great weekend!

Out of interest, why are apartments that are newly renovated MORE prone to these things?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    You could instead post the pictures up over here for the benefit of anyone else in the same situation, now or in future.

That would, of course, go against your interests if you worked for pest control, hence the preference for dealing via PMs.

For sure I am NOT working for any control company and I have no interest in earning any money from here. I leave a message here is to help ppl who really need help.

Sorry that I do not know how to post pictures here (maybe I am computer idiot?) Can any teach me how to attach pictures here first?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast