Like Tree3Likes

Tiny insects in my apartment - help!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tiny insects in my apartment - help!

I am the tenant of an apartment in Wanchai, which I recently rented.

I have only just moved into the apartment. It is very clean, but lately I noticed that on some white woodwork near the window, there are some TINY TINY insects crawling about - they are smaller than a pinpoint, reddish-brown in colour, and I would have thought it was just dust if they weren't moving! Not many, about 4-5 at any one time in an area of about 2 square meters. But every time I remove them, in about an hour or so I see another 4-5 new ones. No idea where they came from.

The apartment is beautiful, newly-renovated, all the furniture and appliances are new, and my landlord is wonderful. As the apartment is new and cleaned VERY WELL when it was handed over to me, I don't want to trouble the landlord when I don't even know what those insects are and how to get rid of them for good (I mean if it was my own apartment I still wouldn't know, it is not exactly a SERIOUS pest problem so I won't ask a costly pest control company to come).

Has anyone seen those? Do you know what they are? Do you know how I can kill them or find where they came from?

How about live and let live? It doesn't sound like they are harming you.

You could try off-the-shelf fumigation devices. Those will, however, require you to leave the apartment while they're active.

Damp sometimes attracts minuscule insects. Try blasting the aircon for a few days.

They sound like the same things I find in my rice after a few months (even if it's in a sealed container!). I'd just wipe them away from time to time and ignore them.

You might find the answer on this thread: http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread20335.html

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    They sound like the same things I find in my rice after a few months (even if it's in a sealed container!). I'd just wipe them away from time to time and ignore them.
    A little off-topic for the OP but MI07, I think those things are always in the flour but are in egg form when you buy it and so can't see them until they hatch. Disgusting I know. But true I think. Weevils I think...

Quote Originally Posted by ArKay
    A little off-topic for the OP but MI07, I think those things are always in the flour but are in egg form when you buy it and so can't see them until they hatch. Disgusting I know. But true I think. Weevils I think...
    I'd guessed as much. OK in rice as they wash off easily enough .. much harder in flour!

I have seen those in an apartment I lived in before. Doesn't really harm one but it disgusts and scares me to think that they could be crawling up my body...

Does anyone even know what they are? They are so small that they dont like they could have any organs!

Quote Originally Posted by ALAU
    Does anyone even know what they are? They are so small that they dont like they could have any organs!
    Book lice or some kind of mites.

Need some sharp pictures for correct identification.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast