Mid-Levels or Happy Valley

Question Mid-Levels or Happy Valley

Hi, I am moving to Hong Kong in the next few months and have been doing quite a bit of research on where to live. In my last overseas transfer to Europe I ended up living well out of town in a fairly boring area and I don't want that to happen again.

I am a mid twenties single guy who wants to live in the thick of the action in a pretty cool place. From my research it looks like the 2 best options are the Western Mid-levels or Happy Valley. Also I will be working in Kowloon so need to be able to get to work...

If anyone has any comments on these 2 suburbs or if there is another suburb I have missed I'd love to hear it. I want to narow down the suburb so I can focus my efforts on finding an apartment when I go for my house hunting trip.

Thanks for your help everyone

The office is on Canton Road in Tsim Sha Tsui - I hope that makes sense...

Thanks

Mid-levels would be a better choice in your situation. Although Happy Valley is just around the corner of the business districts....mid-levels would still be more accessible to most places...work, shopping, eat-outs, night-outs...the fun that most single guys like you are looking for

Happy valleys really nice but I perceive that area as a place full families if you know what I mean.

Badger,

If your office is in TST, lucky you who can avoid Central / Admiralty, then I recommend you visit apartments in Gold Coast, Sham Tseng (Bellagio - see posts in forum) - great value for money and fantastic seaviews and greenery available for a fraction of the rent you would pay on HK island for the same surface.

It took me a few years of paying high rents on HK island and getting a little claustrophobic, to finally understand what locals have understood for a while already.

Commute to work would be ideal for you.

Ever given Homantin a thought? It's basically Kowloons equivalent to Happy Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by psampras88:
    Badger,

If your office is in TST, lucky you who can avoid Central / Admiralty, then I recommend you visit apartments in Gold Coast, Sham Tseng (Bellagio - see posts in forum) - great value for money and fantastic seaviews and greenery available for a fraction of the rent you would pay on HK island for the same surface.

It took me a few years of paying high rents on HK island and getting a little claustrophobic, to finally understand what locals have understood for a while already.

Commute to work would be ideal for you.
    I wouldn't call Gold Coast/Sham Tseng big city life areas with round the clock gweilo parties.

Since we've been in HK we've lived in both places...Mid-Levels for a few years (while we were on expat contract) and then Causeway Bay (which is close to Happy Valley). Have to admit we enjoy Causeway Bay much more.

-> Our Mid-Levels flat was too far away from Central to walk, so we were always taking cabs, plus there were no round-the-corner shops or restaurants. The one thing we loved most about the flat when we moved in (the view) turned out to be pretty useless because of constant haze/pollution.

-> Causeway Bay is more vibrant. Lots of restuarants/shops and no end of transportation options (MTR, bus, tram etc.). Also, it's much cheaper than Mid-Levels! Of course it's more crowded too, so you need to make sure you can get a quiet flat.

So, depends what you like. If you really want the "in town/out-town" feel go for Happy Valley...you're a tram-ride from Causeway Bay and have a nice, local community. If you want a little more peace, go for upper-mid-levels. The last alternative (if you have the cash) is to find something in lower-mid-levels right by the escalator/SOHO region. You'll be right "in town" there, very close to all the action! Actually, given your situation and what you're looking for, this last option may actually be the best for you. In SOHO you're close enough to stumble home from just about any bar.

Last edited by nina_70; 19-03-2007 at 09:38 AM.

Living in Soho is really awesome. I am on a quieter street and have had no real problems here with noise etc.

I am close to everything and usually go home drop the laptop off and then head out as it is so close to LKF, Soho Resturants, bars and shops.

If you are looking for in Town then I can recommend Soho.

Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    I wouldn't call Gold Coast/Sham Tseng big city life areas with round the clock gweilo parties.
    Indeed - took me 1 or 2 years to get tired of the HK party scene - am now more looking for a quiet and green place to spend my weekends and evenings and make the most of what HK has to offer besides post colonial gweilo parties...