Like Tree1Likes

Harbourfront/Harbourview Horizon

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Harbourfront/Harbourview Horizon

My boyfriend and I are moving to Hong Kong this September and we found the Harbourfront and Harbourview hotels online. They look absolutely gorgeous and are within our budget (about 14-15k) but all the information we have found on here about it seems to be negative. Those threads seem to be old though. Could someone who lives there right now tell me what it is like... have a lot of the old problems changed? Also, is the pool open year round?

Also, if anyone wants to suggest other similar places in that general area (or another area off the main island but still close to subways) that would be great. We are looking for a furnished place with a "resort feel", preferably, because we'll only be in HK for a year or two and we'll be on a limited budget to start so it would be nice to not have to buy everything. It doesn't have to be a serviced place though; those seem pretty expensive.

Thanks for any input!

You can relax, the place is quite ok, and good value for your money from my point of view. I lived there for over 2 years happily, with minor annoyances.

The rooms were nice and bright, furniture was pretty good.
    The pool is only open until the end of October, unfortunately. And it was open (and I guess still is) only until 6 pm, so forget about a swim after work.
    The management there is complicated and annoying yes, but you will have not much to deal with them.

Hi people,

I am currently staying in Harbourfront Horizon and would be moving out soon in a week or so. I have the following items to sell

1. 2x electric fans about 15" in diameter. They are not full length fans. I typically place them on chairs.
    2. A clothes rack about 80cm long
    3. A pail, mop and broom
    4. 2 saucepans and a pot and a teflon frying pan
    5. 2 knifes with serrated edges for cutting meat and vegetables, a peeler and grater, a pair of scissors for cutting meat
    6. Miscellaneous items - cling wrap and aluminium foil.

All to go for HKD$350. Please call me at 61855683 for any queries!

In general, many of those that complain about accommodation have probably never really adjusted to HK and refuse to accept not everything is just like back home, wherever that is. Walls are thin in most places in Asia, not only HK. HK is much more a 24/7 city than anywhere else I´ve been. People work late, and come home late, and sometimes do make noise in the middle of the night. If you don´t speak canto and staff don´t speak fluent English, complications will happen - just like anywhere where English is not language number 1. Pools are rarely open year round - anything less than 22c seems to be ´cold´ for majority of locals and considered winter, and you don´t swim when its ´cold´. Also, on weekends in buildings with many kids, don´t expect a serene pool with plenty of space for yourself - it´s HK after all and it´s not exactly known for its lack of crowds! Overall, all these types of buildings are alright for a year or two as long as you take it easy and go with the flow.

This is what I've had quoted from them via email - would those staying say they are reasonable? Anyone been able to negotiate down lately from what was priced?

Harbourview Horizon
    2 bedrooms (618-638sq.ft.)- from $15,000 to $19,000 per month,
    3 bedrooms suite 850 sq ft from $22,000 to $30,000 per month

Harbourfront Horizon
    2 bedrooms(647-703sq.ft.)- from $16,000 to $23,000 per month,
    3 bedrooms suite 966 sq ft from $28,000 to $31,000 per month

I am moving out this weekend after 6 months. I generally liked it there but it's not very convenient place and a bit expensive to what I want to pay. I loved the pool and gym and the environment is great. Walls are NOT thin and hardly hear people above or around me.

The pool is open till 7pm now and even on weekends when it's busier you can do laps OK. It's not like the public pools when you can't see the water for the people and kids.

For what it is worth, the place is good value for money. The place is larger and newer than most and view is exceptional.

I'm saving 60% going out to the real world and getting something more local and more convenient.

If you are here for 12 months seriously look at renting as you can get something furnished with alot less the price.

Smile Harbourview Horizon

Char Siu King summed it up absolutely right. I have been staying at HV for over a year now.

Initially I had 6-month lease and my unit was very nice except it had a lot of noise at night from activities of neighbours. Noises such as opening/closing of room doors, walking on the floor with shoes, moving/dragging of furniture, knocking sounds from water pipes when neighbours operated the taps, etc.

I complained many times and every time they would send security staff to stand silently outside the offending unit to listen for disturbances. They always said they didn't hear anything and refused to speak to the tenants inside. It was because the sound was transferred by the building's structure and it was not audible from outside in the corridor.

The disturbances got so bad that when I renewed my lease, I asked for another unit. I gave up the original unit with a nice view and got one with average view just to escape the noise.

It is only a little better now. Like Char Siu King said, noisy neighbours are a part of HK living.

Also people don't seem to trust their electronic key-card doors. They always have to BANG the door to satisfy themselves that the door is shut properly.

Also YES, the walls are really really thin. At night, I can even hear next door's quiet conversations in their bedroom. Although I can't make out exactly what they are saying, I can't tell whether its man's or women's voice easily.

FYI, I renewed here at HV this July for a further six months at the rate of $12,500. (2 bedroom unit facing Hung Hom station)

All in all, it is quite acceptable when you factor in the price, location and overall quality. Only potential big problem is if you get noisy neighbours around you !

Last edited by skylark; 28-07-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
    peach_ blossom likes this.

Smile Harbourview Horizon

Duplicate post removed.

Last edited by skylark; 28-07-2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Hi there,

I still have 3 months left on my 6 months contract with HarbourView. Is there any way one can break the contract without having to pay the months payment penalty? For example, if someone wants my apartment, then how easy is to tranfer my contract? any information on this matter more than welcome :-)

cheers

Last edited by Greek_in_HK; 29-07-2010 at 12:37 PM.

Skylark, really. I have been there and haven't had many issues. My neighbours and people above are fine. Sometimes a few scrapes late at night but generally quiet.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast