Like Tree7Likes

Living on 12,000 HKD salary

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Used to pay $2,800 for a (horrible) place in Jordan. Wouldn't recommend it. Pay a bit more and you won't be living among prostitutes and insane old folk.

You won't find listings online. Visit the smallest estate agents in the area - look around Temple Street for Jordan. Most of them speak English as they deal with a lot of Nepalese. Bargain hard and be prepared to walk a lot of stairs.

It's not easy to live on $7-8K after rent, but it's definitely doable and at least you won't be paying tax.

auri_gan likes this.

All good advice here. If you want the bargain places, you have to put in the legwork and visit all the agents. Also look at the notices pinned to lampposts etc.

you can live in a nice 250 sq ft flat with no working girls or druggies, in a NT town, for around HK$2500-HK$3,000, great for people on a budget, commuting is also very cheap

auri_gan likes this.

consider a flatshare e.g. Wanchai 2 bedrooms for rent - Hong Kong Classifieds

or perhaps the Caritas hostel?

香港明愛賓館及餐飲服務

They have a few and closest to Central would be Caine Road or Kennedy Town. If you take the public bathroom one it's even cheaper. Or take a smaller one with a private bath if you prefer that indoors. No cooking facilities though, but I see you prefer to eat out. Plus point is that its already furnished.

Last edited by anii; 11-06-2010 at 11:00 AM.
    auri_gan likes this.

Opt for an apartment share or something like that

Now in Hong Kong. Previously in Toronto, Canada

Please check out TST, go alone Hillwood Road, Kimberley Rd (close to Austin Rd) there are lots of agents with self contained studio about 100 to 120 sq ft, some of them are furnished, all starting from 2800 to 3500.. very affordable and convenient to mtr line. very safe area and lots of eateries that open late, if you like food and shops and people around after working hrs, this is the area for you... just walk along and check out all the agents there, I have a good one that I use myself, pvt me and will give you the name

auri_gan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    you can live in a nice 250 sq ft flat with no working girls or druggies, in a NT town, for around HK$2500-HK$3,000, great for people on a budget, commuting is also very cheap
    I've definitely considered it, but I do like the general noise of the city and having entertainment options close by.

A more important point is that I usually wake up pretty late (can't break out of this horrible habit) so I can't really afford to live too far out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigga:
    Used to pay $2,800 for a (horrible) place in Jordan. Wouldn't recommend it. Pay a bit more and you won't be living among prostitutes and insane old folk.

You won't find listings online. Visit the smallest estate agents in the area - look around Temple Street for Jordan. Most of them speak English as they deal with a lot of Nepalese. Bargain hard and be prepared to walk a lot of stairs.

It's not easy to live on $7-8K after rent, but it's definitely doable and at least you won't be paying tax.
    Thanks for the heads up. I will most likely spend a bit more than 2,800. 20-30% is a typical raise for my job after a year so I think I could manage to stick it out. I guess it's a plus that I like many cheap foods like pineapple buns, fish ball noodles, and char siu rice

Quote Originally Posted by twitceh:
    I earn similar to you, and I can't even save any of my wage... it's just too difficult..

But as starting it should be fine. But we aware that some of your wage will go towards your MPF, so you'll have to deduct 5%.
    What portion of your salary goes toward rent? Whereabouts do you live?
    Last edited by auri_gan; 11-06-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by auri_gan:
    Thanks for the heads up. I will most likely spend a bit more than 2,800. 20-30% is a typical raise for my job after a year so I think I could manage to stick it out. I guess it's a plus that I like many cheap foods like pineapple buns, fish ball noodles, and char siu rice

What portion of your salary goes toward rent? Whereabouts do you live?
    Well the I don't rent the flat... but I'm meant to pay 5k including management fees... I live in Olympic, 6xx sq ft. I don't think you can get the same with your budget.. as normally rental in my estate ask for about 14k.. But in the end I still have close to 0 disposable income after deducting bills, 'rent' and food. I budget 100 per day for food btw.

A friend of mine lived on about that and had to rent a room from an old elderly lady. For the first week everything was fine. The second week everytime he walked in the door she screamed "burglar" and started whacking him with her cane. He eventually calmed her down and by the third week managed to get a photo of the two of them smiling together. After the fourth week he put the picture in a frame at the front door and grabbed it first thing whenever he came in the door, just in case she was forgetting him that day. Worked out ok after that, more or less.

Guess my point is you don't have to be living with roaches or insane people (well, maybe a few of those). But find a place with some others to lower the costs, find some cheap eats and do some walking and whatnot.

You won't be living the expat lifestyle which might gnaw on you a bit when you see others blowing a few thousand a night at the bars in Central and you're saying to yourself "they drank my rent money in a couple of hours".

kokoyashi likes this.