Like Tree7Likes

Living on 12,000 HKD salary

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Living on 12,000 HKD salary

Hi everyone,

I'm changing careers and starting at the bottom in Hong Kong.

What would be a reasonable amount to spend on rent if my salary is 12,000 HKD/mo?

Where would be a suitable location and what can I expect (I know it definitely won't be great living)? I will be working in Central.

Thanks in advance!

"The bottom" is a long way below $12,000 - plenty of people make less than half of that.

But there are small apartments in places like Jordan for about $2,500/month which might be a good place to be.

auri_gan likes this.

How long is the commute to central?

Are there any online sites where I would be able to take a look at some available suites? There's no postings for Jordan (in my price range) in the classifieds section here.

Also, if I spent 5-5.5K on rent, would i struggle to have a decent time with remaining income (I like eating out a lot)?

commute from NT, get a bigger apartment for the same money, less likely to get dingy showbox size room ie. less 100sqft, possibly up to 250 sqft, HK$12,000 is above average for a person starting from the bottom of the ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by auri_gan:
    How long is the commute to central?

Are there any online sites where I would be able to take a look at some available suites? There's no postings for Jordan (in my price range) in the classifieds section here.

Also, if I spent 5-5.5K on rent, would i struggle to have a decent time with remaining income (I like eating out a lot)?
    if you spend that amount on rent, plus bills and buying essentials, furniture, electronics, you have nothing left from your wage

Jordan MTR to Central MTR is 8 minutes according to the MTR Journey Planner.

Places at $2500 aren't advertised on expat forums. If I were looking for one I would talk to someone in the Filipino community - many Filipinos working in F&B live in places like that, and they are also used for short term lets for visitors.

You can rent them by the day or the week, so you can test out whether it works for you without making a long term commitment.

Last edited by PDLM; 11-06-2010 at 09:35 AM.

To be honest, I don't think I could stomach that standard of living.

I guess I may have to forgo saving for a while.

u need to rent a room 2.5K-3K (shared apartment), look up jordan / Yau Mei Tai / Mong Kok etc.

I earn similar to you, and I can't even save any of my wage... it's just too difficult..

But as starting it should be fine. But we aware that some of your wage will go towards your MPF, so you'll have to deduct 5%.

auri_gan likes this.

There are suites in Sheungwan and Kennedy town for 3500 to 5500HKD. Basically these are flats sub divided into individual rooms with their own tiny bathrooms and kitchens. The one I'm in is 2 minutes from an mtr station and about 10 minutes walk to Central.
    They are not usually advertised in websites (maybe in the other expat site). You need to go to a property agency and ask.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast