When to start searching for an apartment?

Closed Thread

When to start searching for an apartment?

I have to move out on July 19th into a new place. However, I'd really like to avoid paying rent for two places at the same time because it is just such a waste of money. Could you please share your thoughts on when do you think I should start searching for an apartment. I'd like to know how long do you think it is reasonable to request the start date to be later. What's your experience renting like?

1st off all stop paying rent on your old place, use up your deposit for it, when searching for a new place since you wont be ready to move in until after the 19th, then inform the agent to work with the landlord to let you have 2 weeks rent free so that you only start paying rent in August.

I think landlords are usually willing to wait up to one month (assuming you will sign a lease of at least one year) whe you have decided on a place. You will need that time to negotiate the lease, for the landlord to carry out any works you requested, for you to produce references, etc. anyway.

Unless you are renting a high-rent place (say HKD50k or above), don't bother asking for a rent free period. It is much easier to agree on a starting date, then sign the lease based on that date, and just arrange the move on the date you take over the apartment.

And do not stop paying rent on your old place as wtbhotia suggested unless you have VERY good reason to (say the landlord is KNOWN for withholding deposit, which if that is the case why are you renting from him if you knew?). It is against your current lease agreement and is just not gentlemanly.

Quote Originally Posted by ALAU:
    And do not stop paying rent on your old place as wtbhotia suggested unless you have VERY good reason to (say the landlord is KNOWN for withholding deposit, which if that is the case why are you renting from him if you knew?). It is against your current lease agreement and is just not gentlemanly.
    And how would anyone know if the Landlord holds up deposits, he/she isnt going to say anything. I reckon out of 10 LL, 6 are dodgy when it comes to returning deposits.