Tai Po or Tseung Kwan O?

Question Tai Po or Tseung Kwan O?

I have just been offered a NET position by 2 schools. I don't know Hong Kong at all and was hoping someone may be able to advise me as to which school/ area would be better to work/live at. Which area has a better environment, has convenient facilities (shopping, parks, recreation), is cheaper/ better for finding accommodation? I will be going with my wife and 3 year old daughter.
    1. Tang Ying Hei Collenge, Tseung Kwan O
    2. Sun Fong Chung College, Tai Po

Where to live

Tseung Kwan O is closer to town - however it is many high rise buildings - you will not have a problem finding accomodation there but it will be apartment living and limited open space. Shopping is good, good public transport into town and to Sai Kung, Close to beaches in Clearwater Bay with transport. There are a number of english preschools in the area

Tai po is in the middle of HK and is an older suburb. It too has good transport into town and surrounding areas, lovely walks in Tai Po and much more open space. You may be able to get more for your accomodation dollar there with regard to getting a lowrise with a garden. There is water close by in the Tolo harbour. Tai Po will be more local with not as many expats living there as in TKO (which is pretty local but not as much) - it is more of a small rise place mixed with high rise....limited english preschools- but still there.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by blairjohn:
    I have just been offered a NET position by 2 schools. I don't know Hong Kong at all and was hoping someone may be able to advise me as to which school/ area would be better to work/live at. Which area has a better environment, has convenient facilities (shopping, parks, recreation), is cheaper/ better for finding accommodation? I will be going with my wife and 3 year old daughter.
    1. Tang Ying Hei Collenge, Tseung Kwan O
    2. Sun Fong Chung College, Tai Po
    I know the Sun Fong Chung College very well. It's located next to the Japanese International School on the old Tai Po Road which runs between Sha Tin and Tai Po. It's a millenium school with very good english facilities and has superb views of the Tolo Harbour. The area there is actually the most exepnsive in Tai Po, but is a very nice environment to live in with houses and low rise apartments nearby all with a good view across the harbour. Wont be cheap though unless you go into Tai Po itself.

Tang Ying Hei is very close to Tseung Kwan O station and public transport facilities. Very built up there, all high rise flats but limited open spaces. Convenient for transport to HK island though and greenery can be found outside of TKO towards Clearwater Bay and Sai Kung.

ditto what was said before, TKO is likely more convenient but entails a compromise in quality of life, while Tai Po does offer more variety in terms of village/suburban residences.

TKO, however, is mainly comprised of stand-alone housing complexes with substantial openness in between, and lots of nice, lush hills. you can also find private homes there, but will need professional real-estate help, most likely.

you could go with Tiu Keng Leng, which i think is the nicest part of TKO, although almost entirely high-rise, and also served by two MTR lines, not justthe purple TKO one.