Accommodation & Living Costs in HK

Closed Thread

Smile Accommodation & Living Costs in HK

Dear all!

I'm a Singaporean, leaving for HK next month to pursue my degree studies. I'm looking for shared flats, preferably for long-term lease that would save me the trouble of shifting home in the next 3 years. My monthly budget is between HKD2,500 to HKD3,000.

Any good reccommendations?

My school is located at the Hong Kong island side. So, is it better for me to find lodgings nearby? Or is the travelling from Kowloon island to Hong Kong island just as convenient?

Can anyone also pass me a breakdown of a student's average monthly expenditure in HK? Inclusive of lodging, transportation, meals, bills etc?

And how's the weather usually like, from September onwards? Chilly?

Thank you so much!!

Hi,

I am a Singaporean who moved here to work last November. If you are studying at HKU, Pokfulam and Midlevels will be very near.However, the real estate in that area will be more expensive (like River Valley in SG), unless you are willing to share an older apartment with someone. This area will be quite pricey for a student. But if you can find a room within your budget there, it would really be a gem and maybe you should consider taking it up.

The quality of the apartments in Hong Kong aren't as good as the ones in Singapore, especially the old ones. Staying at Kowloon/NT can be quite far, and you need to make extra effort to wake up early, as the tunnels are always jammed in the morning and the MTR always packed. Not a good idea if you are someone who needs a lot of sleep, or needs more time to study. But if you are someone disciplined, probably worth the while, as you are likely to save more $$$ but you will spend more money (about $500 HKD more) on transport. I think you should be able to share a flat with someone outside HK island within your budget.

There are also areas in Hong Kong Island within your budget I think (mainly old buildings). You can try South Horizons (Ap Lei Chau), Wanchai, Causeway Bay or Northpoint. Wanchai and CWB can be very crowded and local Hong Kong, and the air can be pretty polluted, but pretty near to the Uni. South Horizon (like Marine Parade) and Kennedy Town are pretty chilled out but not as convenient.

In terms of cost of living, Hong Kong is relatively more expensive (15% more) than Singapore (due to the rent). In terms of other things, it is roughly the same. But the best bet is to go for the dorms in the university (if available), as it is likely to save you some money on books and other miscellaneous items. The temptation to spend is Hong Kong is also higher.

Relocation involves a lot of work, as I experienced it last year. Do drop me a note at [email protected] if you need any more information or leads. Good luck.

Best,

SY

SYeuan,

thanks a lot for your advice

By the way, I'm not with HKU. I'll be starting my degree with the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts, majoring in theatre lighting design. My campus is located along Gloucester Road, which is pretty near to either the Admiralty or Wan Chai stations.

At present, I've found a couple of suitable lodgings located in Sheung Wan but yet to be confirmed. Some time in the week of Aug 14 I will be coming Hong Kong to check out the places as well as to settle my lodging issues by then.

Hope you have a great weekend ahead

Sheung Wan is quite near to Wanchai so it will be very convinient to you.

Wanchai is also very convenient and there should be some within your budget for share flats. You can get almost everything there, so if you are looking for a nearby place and don't mind the girlie bars in that vicinity, and being in a crowded place, it is actually quite a good place.

Do the usual stuff when you look for a flat:
    Fire exits, gas meters, and power meters etc....
    Getting back to your question regarding budget about 1000 SGD for a month of living expenses ex rent.

SYeuan,

thanks again! I tried to look for suitable shared flats in Wan Chai, but didn't get much luck. So far, Sheung Wan is my best bet. Or next will be Kowloon island lodging.

Hopefully when I come HK after next week, I will be able to secure a good lodging within my budget by then. I will take note of the things you told me about. Please keep me informed if you have any friends who wish to rent out their rooms in that area too!

Really nice to know you here! Keep in touch!

Wei Ling.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Ling:
    Or next will be Kowloon island lodging.
    You might want to look at a map to avoid sounding very ignorant. Kowloon is not an island.

Wink Tsuen Wan

Hi there,

Have you ever think of Tsuen Wan, coz I actually living in Tsuen Wan and I am currently looking for a flatmate, I used to work in WanChai b4, on average it spend 30 to 45 min traveling from Tsuen Wan to Wan Chai, which cost you $17 hkd for one way. if you're happy with the location, there will be some brand new apartment to rent which will be costing about 6000 to 7000 for two bedroom. I think u should be prepare for roughly 3500 a mth with gas, Electricity, internet inclusive. you can check this site for the location

http://www.gohome.com.hk/english/res...69&estate=1733

or should you have any enquires or interest to share the apartment with me, please feel free to contact me by [email protected].

good luck